stocks, side by side

U.S. Military Krags
Mark_Daiute

stocks, side by side

Post by Mark_Daiute »

would any of you be willing to stand up two stocks, side by side, one carbine, and one rifle and take a nice clear photo showing the lightning cuts?

A model 1898 rifle stock beside a model 1899 carbine stock would be especially useful.

THANKS!

butlersrangers

Re: stocks, side by side

Post by butlersrangers »

Mark - Harder done than said! (I had to 'rubber-band'them together and lay them on my steps).

Well, I'm lazy and just grabbed three loose stocks that have damage. Pictures did not come out as clear as I would like.

Top Stock: 1899 carbine stock thinned by 'Bubba'. There are only two 'lightening cuts'.

Middle Stock: 1898 rifle stock that was shortened by 'Bubba'. Two 'lightening cuts' are visible and a third one has been filled.

Bottom Stock: 1898 rifle stock. Two 'lightening cuts' have been gouged and slightly lengthened to clear mounts for a 'Cummings sub-target rifle machine'. The full-length Krag rifle stock has a total of four 'lightening cuts'.

FWIW: Starting at the receiver and moving toward the muzzle, the first two 'lightening cuts' and spacing are identical on the 1898 rifle stock and 1899 carbine stock. The carbine stock only has two cuts and the rifle stock has four.ImageImageImage

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

FWIW: Starting at the receiver and moving toward the muzzle, the first two 'lightening cuts' and spacing are identical on the 1898 rifle stock and 1899 carbine stock. The carbine stock only has two cuts and the rifle stock has four.

how bout the other carbine stocks, same, except for the grasping grooves?

outstanding, thanks for the help. Almost impossible to tell the tow apart.... I have this stock.... no recess for the sling swivel in the but, the snout has been cut off. Must be an 1899 Carbine stock, doncha think? Grasping grooves, everything the same s'cept the recess for the rear sling swivel.

Thanks very much for the response.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

so now I'm wondering about the Carbine stock, sans snout. Treat it like any other resource and stretch it out next time I need a full-length rifle stock? Where am I going to find the snout for a carbine stock? Shaping a snout is going to be cost and time prohibitive.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Mark: With the absence of inletting for a butt-swivel, your shortened stock must be a 'long forearm' carbine stock, (as used on the model 1899 carbine and for replacement on model 1898 carbines).

I do not have a 'short forearm' model 1896 or model 1898 carbine stock to compare. I suspect the lightening cut position & length maybe different on these earlier carbine stocks.

A production and cost-saving virtue of the model 1899 stock, (and replacement long forearm stocks for 1896 and 1898 carbines), was that they used the same basic machine set-up, as the model 1898 rifle stocks.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Mark: I might be interested in a trade? I can use a restorable carbine stock and have a useable cut-down model 1898 rifle stock. (PM me if interested).

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

you understand the snout has been cut off, right? otherwise nice, kinda dinged up a bit, I think it was from a movie company, second or third one that I got with a "C", a lightly stamped "C" where the cartouch would normally be

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Mark' - Was your stock cut forward of the 'shoulder' for the barrel-band?

I will PM you, if you are interested and want to exchange photos of stocks for possible trade.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'm looking for a decent M1898R stock which could be stretched - cartouche must be 1902, and should be nice and legible. Am not in a rush, at all, and will definitely want to trade for it as opposed to cash. The darker the wood the better.

As to the lightening hole issue, I don't have a short C stock loose right now to photograph, but, since they are only usable where intended, 96C & 98C, due to shoulder location and groove length, what they have or do not have is pretty well moot - no R/C swapping is possible.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I can't help you at present Dick. My spare cut-downs are 1903 and 1899 cartouche(s).