Cracked Stock

U.S. Military Krags
psteinmayer

Cracked Stock

Post by psteinmayer »

Ok, I've found a crack. Yesterday while working on a lighter load and finding a new POI, I discovered a crack in the wrist area of my Krag. This morning, while cleaning, I confirmed that the crack goes from under the magazine well area back on both sides. I can actually flex the stock to slightly open the crack, making it very easy to see. I need to fix this as this Krag is my CMP Match favorite!!! Most of you who know me know how important this particular Krag is to me. I've attached a couple pictures to show the cracked area.

Here are a few questions:
1. This Krag has history, having been used in WW1 in 1917/1918, and I am reluctant to refinish the stock... but if it needs to be refinish to fix it, then I am not completely opposed. Should I be refinishing it? Money is a real problem for me right now...
2. Having regularly oiled the rifle when cleaning, I know that there is oil in the cracked area, and when squeezing the stock, can actually see oil seep from the crack. Will this affect the fix?
3. Money is a real problem for me... but am I looking at putting this stock away permanently and replacing it???

Please help, as I am quite bewildered at this point.

Thanks allImageImage

reincarnated

Re: Cracked Stock

Post by reincarnated »

I have seen other Krag stocks with similar cracks. Given the physical characteristics of wood, the design of our beloved Krags, recoil, etc., I think the cracks are not uncommon.

The crack will only get worse, but probably not at an alarming rate. But will the crack impair accuracy?

Appears that you have a collector's & historian's & Krag Lover's dilemma. Your Krag has some known provenance. As you wrote, if you refinish the stock, the originality will be lost. If you replace the stock, setting aside the original, there is a distinct risk that the original stock will be lost. Plus, your Krag with provenance becomes just another repaired Krag. We are just the present maintenance staff. What will happen when we are no longer in charge?

One temporary solution would appear to be retire the Krag and shoot another. Then, when the djinn of money smiles again, you have a grand excuse to search for another Krag.

OTOH, one more summer at the range will probably not make things very much worse.

SgtSki

Post by SgtSki »

Did you drop it? If not there may be an problem with the rear receiver wall or tang inletting which causes unequal distribution of recoil when fired. If the latter is the cause I would not shoot it again until it was repaired it could come apart after one shot or 20 shots.

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

I've repaired this type of crack (very common) before with epoxy resin. The majority of the recoil transfer to the stock is at the aft wall of the magazine well, which may generate a similar crack from an uneven fit. The fix requires some release agent to spray on the contact area and some common epoxy. I used a dremel tool to rout out the rear face of that area from the crack upwards about1/4 inch and almost to the edges of the stock on both sides. Go as deep towards the butt of the stock as you can. 1 1/2 to 2 inches will work. You could also install a brass screw from the bottom vertically just behind of the routed out area to further stabilize the stock and cover the head with a wood plug. After spraying the area on the receiver and magazine box with release agent, fill up the routed out area with epoxy, assemble and torque the rifle onto the stock and let it set up. Not only will this repair your original stock, but it will also probably be slightly more accurate with the partial glass bedding at the back of the magazine box.

Note: The routing should be done from the inside of the stock. at the bottom of the magazine well where the crack begins, and extend to about 1/8 inch of the exterior edges of the crack on the left and right sides of the stock. With the rifle mounted on the stock, the repair would be invisible.

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

All well and good (except maybe the part about inserting a metal screw), but it will detract from the originality of the stock. While wood screws are a time honored repair, the fact that there will be a wood plug hiding it can (and usually is) as unsightly as a naked screw head. I know that my eye would be drawn to it every time I picked up the rifle, and would be glaringly obvious to anyone giving the rifle a close examination. If the joint is reasonably clean, the epoxy will effect a bond as strong if not stronger than the wood surrounding it- and that's good enough- without hogging out extra surface area.

I outlined how I would effect a repair on this crack over on the "other" forum, where I saw it before dropping in for a visit here.

One thing I forgot to add is don't be tempted to use CA (superglue). I tried that a few times on cracks and always eventually ended up re-doing them with epoxy. If it's a fresh crack with zero oil down inside it, then good old yellow wood glue would be ok. I would hedge my bets and use epoxy in any event though.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

There is definitely oil in the crack area... I can squeeze the stock and some oil can be observed oozing out.

The less I have to hog out, the better. This stock has history, and I would prefer not to alter it more than necessary to affect a good strong repair. I do shoot this rifle regularly in CMP vintage matches... and my wife has told me that it would be cheaper to replace the stock than to buy another rifle (wives don't understand anything, LOL). Anyway, I have every intention on repairing this stock, whether I continue to use it, or put it into storage and use a replacement for matches! Either way, any advice on a good strong repair is absolutely welcome!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Paul: I would use an 'Accra-glass' bedding kit. I would flex the stock to open the crack and get as much epoxy compound in there as possible before clamping (or weighing down the stock ends) to tightly close the crack. After the epoxy has hardened for a couple days, I'd drill some ('invisible') holes from the trigger-guard mortise into the action area (between the trigger-guard screw holes and trigger slot). I'd fill these holes with hardwood dowel plugs and epoxy. I'd also consider drilling a small blind hole in the heavy wood on both sides of the trigger slot and perpendicular to the crack. These holes would be hidden by the action or trigger-guard. I would insert epoxy and steel roll-pins into these holes. I'd finish up by glass bedding the rear of the action in the stock. Just some ideas. I think, with care, your stock is salvageable and repairs would be hidden.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

The repair described by gnoahhh on the other forum would be allowable under CMP "as-issued" rules. Some of the others would not. The action should contact only integral wood. Just about anything that might be considered an added bedding enhancement is prohibited.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Paul: "gnoahhh's" advice seems good and "Parashooter" gives a wise caution, regarding rules & bedding enhancements.

Your stock crack is in a good place for invisible repair. I envision epoxy bedding compound in the crack, then, a counter-sunk brass wood screw, from the bottom of the trigger guard mortise, to close the crack and prevent its spread. (Locate the screw, behind the trigger slot and in front of the rear guard-screw. Cut the tip of the brass screw, that projects into the receiver inletting and grind flush).

If your work repairs and stabilizes a stock crack, rather than enhancing original bedding, I imagine it complies with the rules.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

When in doubt, consult the official rule book -

4.2 As-Issued Military Rifles
4.2.1 General As-Issued Military Rifle Requirements
The following rules apply to all as-issued U. S. and foreign military rifles
unless specific exceptions are noted in these rules:
. . .
Stocks must be as-issued stocks or replacement stocks with the same
dimensions. Laminated stocks and stocks made of synthetic materials
are prohibited. Broken or cracked as-issued stocks may be repaired
with the use of epoxies or other chemical adhesives, provided the
original as-issued stock dimensions are not changed and no epoxy,
adhesive or reinforcing material is used in or on any of the bedding
surfaces for the rifle action or barrel.