1896 Springfield Carbine

U.S. Military Krags
emmetj

1896 Springfield Carbine

Post by emmetj »

I just got this and it needs a good cleaning. I am worried that I could damage the weapon if not treated properly. Any suggestions for care would be appreciated.Image

Dick Hosmer

Re: 1896 Springfield Carbine

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Welcome to the world of Krags.

A little lemon oil on the wood, and WD40 with brass or FINE (0000 or 000) steel wool for the metal. Any good bore cleaner, such as Hoppes #9 for the inside of the barrel.

Some "damage" has already been done. I do not believe that is an original carbine, but rather a fake designed to look like one to the unwary.

Rear sight and barrel band are incorrect. At first glance, stock appears to be of M1986C form, but has had a totally incorrect new piece spliced in at the front, and the grasping groove is too long - should not touch band. How long is the barrel? What is the serial number? Hope you did not pay a "collector" price, or, if you did, that you can get your money back.

This is what it should look like - note grasping groove length, and barrel band spring.Image

emmetj

Post by emmetj »

It has a 24" barrel. Serial #60032. I did not pay for it. My better half has had it on a gun rack in the basement for decades. Even if it is not real I am happy with it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'emmetj' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Many of us have started our Krag experience with an example that was an Infantry Rifle, 'cut-down' to carbine length, to make a useful 'Hunting Rifle'. Such Krags can have a lot of family connection and are fun to use and enjoy at the Range.

Your family's Model 1896 Krag, #60032, was built around April, 1897, as a rifle with a 30" barrel. At some point in its service it was updated with a model 1902 rear-sight.

It is likely someone 'sporterized' it in the 1920s or 1930s. A detail photo of the front-sight and muzzle area might give clues about the quality of the workmanship.

Dick Hosmer has given you good guidance on cleaning up your Krag.Image

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

Fascinating 1928 article. Do you have the entire magazine article available to read?

A dollar and a half for a fine example of American workmanship!

If only I had a time machine..

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Texas10' - I do not have the Article. I believe it is for sale on Ebay.

TopDean

Post by TopDean »

our stoke is a rifle stock as it has the cutout for a sling above the butt and the barrel in the picture looks a bit long, rear site is another thing as all Krags when through many different sites as time went on.