Tail wasgs the dog

U.S. Military Krags
Mark_Daiute

Tail wasgs the dog

Post by Mark_Daiute »

I was at a shoot recently and bought a bag of Krag parts for 40 bucks. Couple of barn doors, firing pin and In the bag was a blot sans mainspring.

I get all excited. Mainspring, shipping included, 10 bucks! Great thinks I.

So I get the mainspring, 5 minutes later it's installed. Terrific. That's when I realize this bolt does not have the safety.

Mo matter thinks I. Parts are floating all over the place these days. What's a safety gonna cost? Ten bucks? I mean, really, what's the market for a Krag safety, anyway?

Guess again. 45 bucks minimum. Plus shipping.

Now here's the kicker. did I need the bolt? NO! It makes my third spare bolt. I just could not resist the initial bag of parts and then I just couldn't resit that 10 bucks would finish that bolt. Sometimes I hate being me.

butlersrangers

Re: Tail wasgs the dog

Post by butlersrangers »

Yes, Mark, I'd hate being you too!

FWIW - Just put your extra Krag parts in an old cigar box and forget about them for a few months. For good measure, also throw in some 1903 Springfield parts. Next time you look in the box, something will be in there that you didn't know you had. Those parts breed and replicate!

Mark_Daiute

Re: Tail wasgs the dog

Post by Mark_Daiute »

I did just that! Didn't know I had an ejector and ejector pin! How cool is that. Not sure I have a follower and only one follower spring. probably half a dozen triggers.

Anyone want to trade a trigger and spring for a safety?