1898 Krag carbine cleaning rod storage

U.S. Military Krags
nedkiley

1898 Krag carbine cleaning rod storage

Post by nedkiley »

Just purchased a DCM 1898 Krag (SN 249832). Came with an oiler behind the butt plate. Was able to locate a set of field cleaning rods. I see the three holes set into the butt. However with the rods inserted there's no room for the oiler. Is this the set up or should the rods go deeper into the holes?

Dick Hosmer

Re: 1898 Krag carbine cleaning rod storage

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Post title mentions carbine? Anything in that range dated "1898" would be a cutdown rifle.

As to the oiler stowage, it goes in first, there being a recess along the lower edge of the hole, then the rods are inserted into their holes. Oiler can be seen, but not removed, while rods are in place.

Note: some earlier stocks do not have the oiler recess, as that was an improvement to the basic design - the oiler originally being carried in one loop of the cartridge belt.

nedkiley

Post by nedkiley »

Thanks so much. That solves the problem.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'nedkiley' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

When oiler and rods are inserted as Dick Hosmer said, it will look like this photo.

nedkiley

Post by nedkiley »

No insert for the oiler. Does that tell me anything about the age of the piece?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes, it does.

The oiler seat was added, at approximately 69000, around August 1897. There is NO way the proper stock for a 240xxx arm could not have it. You apparently have 1898 metal in 1896 wood - I'm guessing there is a scalloped profile in the wood around the root of the bolt handle? See attached photos.

ImageImage

nedkiley

Post by nedkiley »

Yes, it has the scalloped cut out for the bolt handle. Boy you guys are good. Piece is now in the hands of a gunsmith to check out before use.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'nedkiley' - I am glad Dick Hosmer solved the riddle, as to why, your Krag stock would not accept the 'oiler' in the 'butt-trap' and allow the three rod sections to be inserted in place.

A Model 1898 Krag in a Model 1896 stock, deduced without pictures, Dick is a very astute man!

Your model 1898 Krag, #249832, was likely manufactured at Springfield Armory in early 1900. You described it in your original post as: a "DCM 1898 Krag" and in the Subject Heading as an "1898 Krag carbine". Does this mean it is a rifle that has been cut to a 22" barrel length and had a 'banded' 1903 Springfield front-sight fitted? (BTW - most of us enjoy seeing pictures of member's Krags - hint, hint).

As Dick points out, model 1898 Krag stocks were manufactured to accept the oiler and three rods. The 'groove' cut into the bottom of the (top) stock hole, usually, but, not always, penetrates into the bottom stock 'lightening' hole.

I am attaching a photo of a model 1898 Krag stock 'butt' with the plate removed. (stock has 1899 'cartouche').

You can see the 'trough' where the oiler would lay. Not so apparent, from the view angle, is that the trough partially penetrates into the lower stock cavity.Image

nedkiley

Post by nedkiley »

Thanks for the insight. I'd love to post photos but I'm not sure how. I'll talk to one of my kids! Bought the piece through Gunbroker.com, Item No. 515405034. The posting is still up with plenty of photos. The butt plate only has one opening as per Dick's photo with the three holes for the cleaning rods. Guess I'll have to carry the oiler in my cartridge belt. The Krag is in the hands of my gunsmith being checked out. Try to post pics when I get it back and can figure out how.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Krag butt-plates, with butt-trap, only open to expose top opening (hole), which is used for storage of rod sections & oiler. The lower hole remains covered by butt-plate and serves no purpose but to lighten stock weight.

(p.s. - Butt-plate photo with accessories was my work).