1898 Krag carbine cleaning rod storage

U.S. Military Krags
Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: 1898 Krag carbine cleaning rod storage

Post by Ned Butts »

I just copied and pasted the auction number and the stock in the pictures is a model 1898 rifle stock modified to carbine configuration.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

And it does NOT have the "scalloped cut around the bolt handle", as the gentleman (who apparently does not understand the difference) stated. I cannot blame him at all as the feature - even though shown in my pics - is hardly clear.

Chuck, you are either quick with your camera or you have a huge archive of pics as you always come up with rapid clarifications. How about a bolt cut combo?

However, these latest revelations do nothing to solve the original problem!

How then does that stock not have the oiler cut? Missed in manufacture?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Per Dick's request for 'Krag novices': Photo #1 shows 'scalloped' area of model 1896 stock, where bolt handle seats. Photos #2 & #3 show same area of model 1898 or 1899 stock. (Also note differences between 1896 and 1898 receivers in that area). ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"nedkiley's" Krag is a cut-down model 1898 rifle. The stock is a model 1898 rifle stock (shortened) with a 1901 'cartouche'. The area of the stock, in front of the bolt handle, seems to have a skillful repair with an interesting 'stepped cut' to break-up the repair seam.

The wood and metal appear refinished and not government armory work. The front sight is a 1905 sight for the '03 Springfield. The Krag was sold as a "DCM carbine" without supporting documentation. In reality, any 'craftsman' could have made this configuration. It is an attractive Hunting/Shooter combination, but, a sporter and not highly collectable.

The only reason the stock will not accommodate an Oiler would be if a 'manufacturing step' was missed, as Dick Hosmer has suggested. I hope the OP is not disappointed with his auction purchase. As Dick always says: "krags should be vetted before you buy". He has always generously offered to help a 'newbie'.

It is a Jungle out there! Always has been with Krags - IMHO.ImageImage

nedkiley

Post by nedkiley »

All you folks are amazing! Frankly I don't care that it's a cut down rifle. I knew it wasn't an authentic "carbine" when I bought it. I wasn't interested in a "collectible"; just wanted to own a piece of history (in pieces, which is OK). It appeared in first class shape from the photos (and my gunsmith agrees). I have sent my check to William Butts for my membership and I am looking forward to shooting my "hybrid" Krag.