1896 rear sight

U.S. Military Krags
mhb

1896 rear sight

Post by mhb »

I just acquired a really nice '96 rifle, and shot it today: It shoots extremely well, but suffers from a failure of POA to coincide with POI, and, of course, there is no windage adjustment possible on the '96 rear sight.
In fact, with 220 grain RN bullets at just under 2000fps, it groups into well under an inch at 50 yards, but the group is centered about 6" high and 2 1/2" left.
I can easily substitute a taller front sight blade (which I have), but am unwilling to alter the rear sight, other than possibly shimming the base to 'tilt' the assembly - some windage change can be achieved that way, but it is limited.
What I'd like to do is acquire a '96 rear sight staff (or a complete assembly in less pristine condition) and alter the location of the notch in the staff's blade, which I can also do, while retaining the original parts unaltered.
So...
Where might I acquire the '96 staff or rear sight for the project? I have a good selection of later types of Krag rear sights (and some other parts) for potential trades, and would have posted a query in the want ads, but am unable (not permitted) to do so, for some reason.
Any help appreciated!

mhb - Mike
Sancho! My armor!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: 1896 rear sight

Post by Ned Butts »

Gently bend the front sight blade until you are on target, doesn't take much!

mhb

Post by mhb »

Thanks for the suggestion! I had thought about that, too, but 2 1/2" at 50 yards is 5MOA, or about .030" on the '96 sight radius - that much tweak on the front sight blade would look pretty odd, to say the least, and I'd prefer a more workmanlike solution, if possible.

mhb - Mike
Sancho! My armor!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

You could always replace the rear sight and handguard. Of course, the finish on the handguard won't necessarily match, but if you intend to shoot in CMP matches, it would still be legal. The 1902 or 1901 rear sights are the most windage friendly.

Interestingly enough, shooting something like an Arisaka or other foreign rifles, you would not have windage adjustment, or even the ability to modify the front blade to adjust. In that case, Kentucky windage is the rule of the day... and if you don't intend to modify your Krag, that may be your best bet in this case too.

Happy Shooting!

mhb

psteinmayer:

Post by mhb »

Thanks for the input!
I did not have any designs on the CMP matches, but wanted to keep the '96 in as near original condition (which it is) as possible. I have other Krag rifles (98s), which I shoot, and I prefer the 1901 sight on them, because it has good windage adjustment and the elevation can be accurately set using the O'Hare sight micrometer I use with the 1905 sight on my 1903s.
Actually, I do shoot Arisakas and other foreign rifles, and most of them have dovetailed front sight blades, which permits one at least to obtain a correct windage zero (usually!), while the Krag, with its brazed-on front sight base and slotted/pinned blade offer no means of adjustment for windage at all. Also, I can and do modify the dovetailed sights by making/substituting taller or shorter blades as needed.
Having a workshop with machine tools, I could fabricate an offset blade for the Krag, but that would look too odd, I think.
So, modifying a '96 sight staff seems to be the best and most workmanlike solution, in this case.
Anybody got a spare?

mhb - Mike
Sancho! My armor!