Rusted Butt PLates

U.S. Military Krags
Harv33

Rusted Butt PLates

Post by Harv33 »

I'm new to the forum so Hello to you all !!!.
I have two Krag butt plates that have been buffed up to remove the rust, about 70% pitting over all. What is the best method if any to try to restore them. Remove as much pitting within reason then re blue ?. These are for my 96 rifle and 99 carbine. Thanks for any help and suggestions. I'm contacting the member sellers to see what my chance are of buying a couple decent butt plates..

psteinmayer

Re: Rusted Butt PLates

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi there Harv33, and welcome to the forum!

My 98 Rifle has a butt plate with considerable corrosion, which I attribute to it spending considerable time against the ground. On mine, I removed as much corrosion as I could and then I keep it pretty well oiled up, but since my 98 has a lot of history, I don't want to alter anything about it. Re-bluing the plates would detract from the originality of them, unless they are on sporters, in which case the value isn't as important. If they were mine, I would clean em up and leave em be... but that is just me.

As for replacements, they are out there, and available from Numrich or Joe DeChristopher... or even at some gun shows (like the Michigan Antique Arms Collectors show).

Harv33

Post by Harv33 »

Thank you for the reply. I'll stay with the way they are then, pitted, buffed up and shiny, and keep an eye out for some decent ones. The rest of the rifles are in nice shape. Sure is a shame but a lot of them were in the Philippines and other wet areas.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Yep. I know for a fact that my 98 was in France in 1917/1918 (the aforementioned history).

Harv33

Post by Harv33 »

I'm Happy,, I called Dave Clark - listed in this forums "Classified"
and got two nice ones. :)
It is nice that you have some history on your rifle..
Thanks,, Harv..

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Harv33' - Well done you (in solving your part problem) and welcome to the KCA Forum!

How about some pictures of Your Krags?

p.s. Keep those buffed and pitted butt-plates. I'm sure they will be useful down the road!

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

hi from carbon outlaw.... ebay has some nice but plates....my answer to all rust and blueing Dilemmas I have actually used this with good results is to soak it in limeaway for 3 days although this could completely ruin your but plate I have seen people sand blast then parkerise then if I was dooing it I would order a one on ebay......by....

Harv33

Post by Harv33 »

My rifle and carbine are pretty much normal looking Krags but I will send pictures when I get the butt plates on them, also the old butt plates that l will keep on hand..
Thanks for the replies....

Harv33

Post by Harv33 »

I'm posting pictures but I don't know if I'll get all at once or one at a time, we'll see.
Con's - The finger grooves don't look correct, upper hand guard is replacement, front sight filed down, 1900 stock date ?.
Pro's - 22 inch barrel, Date 1898 with 9 stamp over on last 9,
Correct rear sight.
Is the ser# 308501 ok ?.
Thanks for all the help !!.

These are the new butt plates I bought from a seller on this forum. Nice ones..Image

Harv33

Post by Harv33 »

OK, now I have to find out how to make the pictures smaller to send the rest ????ImageImageImageImageImage