30-40 help

U.S. Military Krags
Todd Doyka

30-40 help

Post by Todd Doyka »

how do you tell if a krag is a rifle(30" barrel) or a carbine? can you tell from serial #? :(

Dick Hosmer

Re: 30-40 help

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, if you have it in hand you measure! Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I'm sure what you mean is you have a short-barelled Krag, and want to to know if it is original?

Actually, to a fair degree, you CAN tell quite a bit from the serial number. What is it?

If receiver is marked 1894, 1895, 1896, Model 1896, or Model 1898, it could have been either, within certain known parameters. If it is marked Model 1899, it was almost certainly a carbine from the git-go.

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

i know mine is a 1903 30-40 krag in 1898 springfield armory and the serial #445xxx. the barrel is cut down to 21 5/8". plus a 1903 sight has been put on.
img

my dad believes it is a carbine, while i say it was a rifle, cut down to 21 5/8" and then the 1903 sight was put on it. i got the orginal stock from my late pap(herter's stock was put on it, early '60's) but there is nothing on the stock, not even the jla intials.

so my question is, is it a carbine or a rifle? :(

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi Todd,

Your Krag started it's life as a rifle. 1898 Carbines adhere to a very specific serial number range, and 445,xxx is way beyond that. Also, if it sports a 1903 front sight, then 99% of the time, it started out as a 30" barrel and was cut down.

You mention that your stock is an original stock... but is it a cut-down rifle stock or a true carbine stock? If the barrel band is retained by a spring clip, then it may be a carbine stock and there are other things you must check to be certain (like looking for a plug in the lightening channel where the stock would be cut, which is an indication of a cut rifle stock). If the band is retained by a pin, then it is absolutely a cut-down rifle stock. Even if it is a Krag stock - rifle or carbine, not having a cartouche is not uncommon, as stocks were sometimes replaced in the field and would not have acceptance or proof marks in that case.

All is not lost however... Cut-down sporters are very common. Many Krags were converted for hunting rifles, and still serve usefully to this day. What rear sight does your Krag have? You can find pictures on this site which show the various rear sights and associated hand guards. Or, does your Krag have an aftermarket sight, like a Pacifica or Redfield receiver sight? Pictures of the remainder of your Krag will help in determining exactly what you do have.

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

img

img

i think its a 1902 rear sight. i bought a flip up peep sight(s&s fireams) and i put it on.
http://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2011/10/001114-1.jpg

the orginal stock does not come with hand guards. and the band is off of the gun.(don't know where). it looks like a piece of wood was put in the channel (lite spot). and the piece that holds the gun stock strap (barrel) is missing. there is one on the stock.
img
img
i have a redfield no drill peep sight that i have to put on. this is just a debate between my dad and me. i am thrilled to own a 30-40, so i will definitly keep it in the family for manyyears to come.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Yes, you are correct about the rear sight being a 1902 model. You mentioned that you added the peep, but it must have already had the provision for it (not all 1902 rear sights had the peep).

Your stock looks to be an aftermarket sporter/hunting stock, such as a Bishop. They are very common for sporters. From what I can see, it looks like a very nice Krag, and should provide you with many decades of great shooting!!!

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

the peep sight used a small threaded screw and when i took off the "buckhorn"(i don't know what it was, but it looked like buckhorns) sights, i took the same screw and put on the very tiny(i mean waaay tiny) peep sight ;D).

the stock that's on it now is also a bishop put on in the late'50's or early '60's. the stock must weigh a ton :D. the earlier one(looks like a military) is like around a pound. i think triple-ought steel wool and bit of wax should bring alot of wood out. right now it looks almost black because it was found in the cellar rafters covered in dust.

thanks for your help!!!

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

it does a real nice job with 165gr ranch dogs and 25.5gr of h4198
the 15, 16 and 17 were the last group when sighting the krag in.
img
this is at 50 yards
not too bad for a stroke-abled guy ;D!!!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Nope... not too shabby!

You can enlarge the size of the peep. Although you can not shoot legally in sanctioned matches because it is sporterized, the CMP does allow enlarging the peep to no more than 0.1 (as issued Krag peeps are around 0.04). I enlarged the peep on my main competition Krag to 0.07 and it made a world of difference, but that's about as large as you can go with the pop-up peep before you run the risk of breaking out the metal.