A question of identification Model 1898

U.S. Military Krags
Kragmire

A question of identification Model 1898

Post by Kragmire »

So i recently aquired a Krag model 1898 with serial #205860. This Krag was actually built in 1899 according to oldguns.net

My first impressions here is that i have rifle variant made to look like the carbine. For all practical purposes ive taken down the arm so you can look it all over and help me figure out or concur what has happen here. I dont believe the serial number is in line to be a carbine.

From what i can tell you is...
Barrel is 22 inches. It has no number or letter markings on it that i can see. The front sight is incorrect. It is a Lyman sight. Im trying to get the darn thing off and cant figure it out. I thought maybe it was soldered on but heat didnt seem to budge it. Theres a small half drilled hole on the bottom of the barrel near the end but just before the sight which is not drilled through all the way and has no threads. This barrel seems to have the two holes for the rear sight but this Krag did not come with any rear sight at all. There was no top hand guard with it either.

The stock is 30 3/8 inches long. There is no dated cartouche stamping or "P" proofing mark on the grip. Im thinking this is probably a cut down rifle re-stock ? Though the stock is old i dont believe this to be the original stock that this receiver was fitted for. There is a small letter and number markings stamped where the receiver sits into the wood. Looks like "O" & "C4" or "G4" ?? The rear band is stamped "U" There are no stamping numbers on the butt plate either.

My intensions with this is to return it back into a full original rifle using period correct parts. The questions i have are...
1. Would the original stock for my receiver be stampped JSA 1898 or JSA 1899 in reference to my serial number ? Since this was built in 1899 it should have that stampping correct ?
2. What front sight would be correct for the 1899 ? the inserted blade type or the bannded sight ? Or do i have the option of either one for that year ?
3. Which rear sight is correctImageImage

Kragmire

Re: A question of identification Model 1898

Post by Kragmire »

Honestly, ive not seen a model 98 in such nice blued condition as this one.. Its seems someone took very nice care of it..I have plenty of pics if you need more info. LMK Thanks ImageImage

Kragmire

Post by Kragmire »

Yet more pics...ImageImageImage

Kragmire

Post by Kragmire »

Just a few more ....ImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Yes... you do have a cutdown barrel and stock. Cutdown sporters were very popular for hunting, which is why there are so many of them out there! It's not uncommon to have a stock with no cartouche, as stocks were often replaced in the field. The two tapped holes on the rear of the barrel are for the original rear sight, and all models of rear sights used the same hole spacing, so any rear sight would fit. As for the hole near the front sight... I can only imagine that it has something to do with the sight, as it's not a Krag feature. All Krags had the same front sight post. Only the blade itself differed, and all 1898 rifles used the same blade too. There is a link on this forum to a photo page where you'll find pictures of the different rear sights and associated hand guards.

Returning this to full military would be possible, but expensive, as you would need a new stock, hand guard... AND barrel. Why not just keep it as a sporter, and look for another in original condition. In it's present condition, it would be a good shooter and hunting rifle. Returning this to original condition would cost almost as much as finding an original rifle for purchase, and they are out there and available! Just my two cents

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Kragmire - 'psteinmayer' is quite correct. You have a model 1898 infantry rifle that was altered into a useful 'sporting rifle'. Enjoy it for what it is. (The 'blue finish' is not Springfield Armory original, but, the work of a gunsmith).

IMHO - Restoration, to an approximation of its original state, would be a 'money pit'. It would not be collectable and you would have invested more money than its resale value. (This only makes sense if you are building a 'match rifle' with a new Criterion barrel, to use in competition).

p.s. During its military service life, your Krag likely had a couple of different rear-sights on it, due to updates. Most model 1898 Krag rifles eventually ended up with the 1901 or 1902 rear-sights.

(Photos showing some model 1898 rifle details).ImageImageImageImage

Kragmire

Post by Kragmire »

Kragmire - 'psteinmayer' is quite correct. You have a model 1898 infantry rifle that was altered into a useful 'sporting rifle'. Enjoy it for what it is. (The 'blue finish' is not Springfield Armory original, but, the work of a gunsmith).

IMHO - Restoration, to an approximation of its original state, would be a 'money pit'. It would not be collectable and you would have invested more money than its resale value. (This only makes sense if you are building a 'match rifle' with a new Criterion barrel, to use in competition).

p.s. During its military service life, your Krag likely had a couple of different rear-sights on it, due to updates. Most model 1898 Krag rifles eventually ended up with the 1901 or 1902 rear-sights.

(Photos showing some model 1898 rifle details).

Thanks for that info.. Questions, My Krag was actually built in 1899 would it have received a rifle stock stamped JSA 1899 even though my receiver says model 1898 ?

Are all model 1899 Krag's, carbines ? They did not make any Krag rifles in that model ???

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

With the exception of 5,000 carbines made in the approximate range of 112K to 135K, ALL guns marked "Model 1898" were rifles. Serials range from 109K to almost 490K. ALL guns marked "Model 1899" were originally carbines. They occur in three notable "blocks" within the (single) series of Krag numbers, which began with the Model 1892 rifle (marked "1894" without word "model") at #1.

The 1898 carbine is a real problem - the 5,000 guns span 23,000 numbers. There are peaks and valleys in the recorded data, most (but NOT all) occur in the 118-119K area. No novice should ever pay a premium for an "1898 Carbine" without expert guidance. There are a huge number of "short" M1898s on the market and the VAST majority are NOT original.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Kragmire - Model 1898 Krag infantry rifles were manufactured from 1898 to 1903 (1904?).

The stock 'cartouche' signifies inspection and acceptance for service, by "JSA" (James Sumner Adams & Not "JLA" as some sources report).

The year will usually agree with approximate date of manufacture. But, Krags were not manufactured in numerical order. Completed and numbered receivers are believed to have gone into parts bins and then removed arbitrarily for assembly into arms.

A receiver may have a stock cartouch one year later than the approximate manufacture date and be correct.

Also, be advised that many Krags were reconditioned at the armory and had their stocks switched. Also, as Psteinmayer said, stocks replaced 'in the Field', likely will lack a cartouche and circled P stamp.