Identifying my buddy's new Krag Carbine

U.S. Military Krags
Keith Herrington

Re: Identifying my buddy's new Krag Carbine

Post by Keith Herrington »

Well, I passed all you guys had to say regarding my buddy's new Krag Carbine and just got a shoulder shrug. He want a hunting gun and thinks this is has the makings of one, with a little change here and there. Another shooting buddy hunts with a Krag and he thinks this is what is needed.

img

I tried to convince him not to but his mind is kind of made up. And yes, that is a three prong flash hider you see at the muzzle.

Keith
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That is a shame. Your friend is going to turn a very rare and desirable Krag carbine, worth $2,000 to $3,000, into a $200 POS. (And spend money doing it)! Bubba is alive and unreasonable.

I would trade five Krag 'Deer Rifles' (with fine bores) and $200 cash money for his 'intended project gun', as is! (Serious offer).

I've got to go sit down and cry. I should not care, but, I do. I guess I didn't need to see this update. Image

Keith Herrington

Ok, Ok. I'm pulling your leg. That picture is from one our shooting buddies who shoots a Krag deer rifle. He doesn't have much money and got it cheap from someone who did a bubba job.

As to my buddy and the Krag I posted about he could not be happier with the information you guys provided. He does intend to keep it just as it is, at least for a while, and use it to bag a deer or two. But asked me to get all the parts he needs to put it back into 100% original condition. This I've done except for the front sight blade. Still working on that. He has done a light cleaning of the gun, but has not disassembled it yet. We'll do that later and give it a thorough cleaning when we can get together for a day.

We shot the gun this weekend at 100 yards and it printed a nice concentric 5 shot group under 2" in size.

img

Needless to say, my bud could not be happier with his latest acquisition.
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Keith: There is a special place for you, when you go to Port Clinton for 'The Vintage Matches'.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Bwaahahahahahahahaha

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Glad he was kidding, otherwise his buddy should stand at the top of the stairs over the embankment on Viale and wave to all us Krag shooters.

Keith Herrington

Keith: There is a special place for you, when you go to Port Clinton for 'The Vintage Matches'.

Not yet, not yet. I'm having a challenge getting it to print consistently at 200 yards. Part of it is my lack of familiarity with the ladder sight. I got a 1903 Springfield ladder sight micrometer and next time out I'll get it figured out. But for now my groups are staying well within the 9 ring and hovering close to 10 ring in size. They are getting more consistent with less vertical stringing and far fewer uncalled flyers. Making progress but it's slow. I still have not tried the magnum primers yet but will next month. There just is a wealth of difference between 100 and 200 yards. What works at 100 just doesn't always transfer well to further out. The journey continues.
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe some 'tutoring' is in order?Image

Keith Herrington

Maybe some 'tutoring' is in order?

Maybe. I'll reach out to you all after my next range session. By then I'll have tested the new loads and tried out the micrometer to change sight settings. If all goes well, great! If not, time to reach out to the experts.

I have to say however, that even with the slow progress I get more enjoyment out of the Krag than any other rifle I own, and I have a very nice collection.
Keith E. Herrington
410-693-9265

Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

I have to admit I was excited at the first post, then really liked the photos. Then it turned. Once i got back from getting sick, caught the gag, ate some blood pressure meds, it got better. Whew!!