Questions on my 1899 Kraig

U.S. Military Krags
Jim_Bo

Questions on my 1899 Kraig

Post by Jim_Bo »

Hello all. I am new to this forum and have a few questions about my Kraig.

My grandfather used an 1899 Kraig in WWI and my father bought an 1899 Kraig in the late 1950's which he used for deer hunting for about 20 years and handed it down to me in the 90's. Recently I got interested in it and am cleaning it and getting it ready to shoot after more then 30 years. In getting the rifle ready to shoot I noticed that it does not have an upper hand guard. Did someone remove this or were some made without it? It does not have a rear sight either so I would like to find and original one if possible. My dad had a scope mounted on it for hunting.

The S/N on this gun is 230472. Does anyone know when this rifle was made?

Thank you.

Jim ::)

butlersrangers

Re: Questions on my 1899 Kraig

Post by butlersrangers »

'Jim_Bo': Welcome to the KCA Forum. BTW - There is no "i" in Krag. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself)!

I assume your Krag's receiver is marked "Model 1899". The Model 1899 was only made as a cavalry carbine. Your serial number, 230472, is in a 'block' of numbers used for carbines. Your Krag was assembled around October, 1899. Krag receivers were numbered and went into parts bins. Krags were not built, or accepted for service in numerical order, so dating is approximate.

The Krag carbine barrels are 22 inches long, when measured from muzzle to (closed) bolt face. All Krag models had a hand-guard when issued. A common step, when using a Krag for hunting, was to remove the hand-guard and change sights. If you post some pictures of your Krag, you will get a more specific analysis from KCA members.

Your Krag is an early Model 1899, so initially, it probably had the rare and short lived model 1898 carbine rear-sight. These sights were pulled out of service and replaced with model 1896, 1901, and 1902 carbine rear-sights. Each of these sight models has a specific hand-guard(s). You can view photos of these different sights and hand-guards, if you go to the KCA Website main page and click on the tab 'photos'.

The different Krag carbine rear-sights are quite expensive (with a lot of fakery). They are hard to find loose and prices range from $175 to $600, depending on model. Krag rifle sights are much more plentiful ($45 to $75) and can fill in for most applications. Reproduction hand-guards are available and cost around $65. Original hand-guards show up on ebay and GunBroker, but, are expensive and often have issues. Krag rear-sight screws are peculiar to each sight model and have an unusual thread. Reproductions and originals are available.

I would recommend you buy a $20 book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", by Joe Poyer. It has good photos and can guide you through some of this trivia.

If your Krag's receiver was drilled and tapped, spend no $, use it as is.

Jim_Bo

Post by Jim_Bo »

Butler,

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I will look around for an inexpensive site maybe a 1901 or something like that. I will ask a gunsmith, I know, what he thinks and if he knows a source for an inexpensive one.

In the mean time I will have to bite the bullet, ha ha, and spent the $30 to $40 bucks for a box of 30-40 ammo so I can shoot the rifle.

Thanks again.

Jim

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

You might just want to save your brass too. You will definitely be bitten by the Krag-bug, like countless others of us... and 30-40 ammo ain't cheap. Reloading is a very affordable way to enjoy your Krag in the long term. Most of us do (I myself have to get busy and load some for upcoming matches, including the Nationals next month)

Jim_Bo

Post by Jim_Bo »

I will definitely save the brass and give it to someone who does reloading.

I would love to go to the Nationals, as a spectator, sounds like fun. Where is this one located?

Thanks

Jim

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The National Rifle Matches are held at Camp Perry in Port Clinton, Ohio every summer. Usually held over the first week of August, however this year, it's the third week of July (due to the Parma matches being held in August). The Garand match is Saturday the 18th in the morning, and the Vintage and Springfield matches are on the 18th and Sunday the 19th. Garand match is for any As-Issued Garand rifle. Springfield is any As-Issued 1903, 1903A, 1903 A1, or 1903A3 Springfield rifle. Vintage Rifle is for any As-Issued US Krag or 1917 rifle, or any mechanically operated foreign rifle, such as a Mauser, Arisaka, K31 Swiss, Russian Nagant, etc. There are a number of us who shoot every year... and I, along with (hopefully) several others will be shooting our Krags on Sunday the 19th in the morning relay. I will provide more info as the date gets closer.

muleyy

Questions on my 1898 Kraig carbine

Post by muleyy »

Hi I have what seems to be an 1898 Krag carbine (my father died - he got it from his father) the serial number seems to be 482456
- I can't find where to look up this number - if any one can tell me that would be great - I am looking to sell this rifle so any advice on that too - it is in great shape - no rust - original leather strap - yours MarcImage

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well - it is not a Model 1898, nor an original carbine. From the contour around bolt handle - both metal and wood - it is the earlier Model 1896, and it is a cut-down rifle. The serial number given is thus too high; 48XXX would be correct. There is a very limited amount of data available, if you want to recheck the number.

There is no collector value, but it is surely a fine hunting rifle.

It is sad that you are desirous of parting with something of your grandfather's - I'd urge you to reconsider, as the amount received will not be great (if you were looking for a large windfall, it's not there). Such pieces sell in the $250-$350 range.

Unaltered originals can fetch upwards of $2,000 for pristine examples. Yours shows considerable wear, in addition to the post-service modifications.

Sorry for not being more upbeat.

muleyy

Post by muleyy »

Thank you for your answer (and sorry for contacting on the personal message - also I am sorry that I sent you the wrong image of my gun - see attached new photos - as a newbie I am making many mistakes)
yours Marc Image

muleyy

Post by muleyy »

and a close-up of the rear sight - I see it is different from what it should be for highest value Image