Considering purchasing this 1898 Carbine(?)

U.S. Military Krags
bjvangundy

Considering purchasing this 1898 Carbine(?)

Post by bjvangundy »

I have a sporterized 1898 but when I got it and talked to you guys... I got bitten by the bug and REALLY want something that is original. Thanks a pant load guys.

Anyway, this is listed as an 1898 Krag. Serial number is 122488.

Anything y'all can tell me should be a decent price... or tell me to stay away!ImageImageImageImage

bjvangundy

Re: Considering purchasing this 1898 Carbine(?)

Post by bjvangundy »

Looking at the pictures in the gallery on this site it appears that this is more likely a 1899 or has had 1899 rear site and part of the stock out in (immediately forward of the rear sight is the little wooden "hump" that I don't see on the 1898 picture.

Also. The front sight doesn't look right in comparison with the 1898 picture.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, everything looks fine until you get to the front sight, which is definitely NFG. The serial number is "in range", and the metal is worse then the (proper 1899-style) wood, which is to be expected on what we know to be a restock. But unless you can steal it for low enough to include a re-barrel in the total "investment", I'd pass.

You need a real front sight application on a real carbine barrel. If the front sight is in any way questionable, it will look wrong. The serial will always be an issue - but that is a moot point, not provable either way.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Might the original front sight have had something added to it, making the sight taller to allow accurate firing at closer range?

98src

Post by 98src »

We really need to see a good, in focus, close up picture of the front sight. Is the barrel 22" from face of the bolt to the muzzle?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

True, but, at that angle, at least a portion of the curved base should be clearly visible. It isn't.

bjvangundy

Post by bjvangundy »

I appreciate all of your replies. I definitely saw that the forward sight looked wrong.

It is up for auction. It looks like it is going to end up somewhere around $400 from my auction experience in the past. I believe, based on y'all's input that I shall pass.

Thanks!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

At $400 or less, what is the value of the sum of the parts? Is that a real carbine stock?

When were the last saddle ring slides fitted?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I would buy it for $400 for parts. That type of 'long forearm stock' never was made with a carbine sling-bar.