Krag grading

U.S. Military Krags
amb4JC

Krag grading

Post by amb4JC »

I currently own a 1895/1896 Krag transition carbine that has an 1895 date and no model prefix and a serial number of #27771. I was told it is rare and that there were only about 7,000 of these made. It's in great condition. The stock is stamped P.S.A.L N.Y.C. I pulled up the blue book of gun values and based on their grading I thought it was between 95-98%. Do you know how to confirm the grading? ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Re: Krag grading

Post by butlersrangers »

Any one know what "P.S.A.L." stands for (Public School? American Legion?)? I imagine the stock marking negatively effects the value of this nice carbine, unless it is a known Military Unit. 95-98% is too high a grading IMHO. It appears there are some fine stock cracks. There is minor surface rust on parts that should be bright. There are a lot of areas not in photos, so impossible to assess. How is the bore? Are the sights correct? Grading is tricky and has to take into account 'the whole package'.

amb4JC

Post by amb4JC »

Thanks for you feedback. The bore and barrel has some wear but overall in good shape. Please clarify are the sights correct? They appear original and I have never fired it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"P.S.A.L." NYC probably stands for Public School Athletic League. NYC once allowed marksmanship competition in the public schools (gasp). Your rear sight should have small "C" on right side of base. Ladder increments should go up to 20 (2,000 yards) and have "C" above 19. Similar looking model 1896 Rifle sight only goes up to 18. Carbine rear sight is worth about $500 and often switched by profiteers!

amb4JC

Post by amb4JC »

The rear sight does go up to 20 and has the small c above the 19.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Great! (An 1896 Carbine front sight blade is also marked with a small "C", which is usually hidden by the sight base. The blade by itself should be approximately .265" tall). 'amb4jc', it looks like you have a legitimate and desirable Model 1896 carbine in very good condition. The P.S.A.L. NYC stock marking gives it an interesting civilian provenance, once it left U.S. Military service. Please post some more pictures of your carbine for our enjoyment. Welcome to the KCA Forum!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

It's a very nice, and correct, carbine, but not (IMHO) a 95-98% piece - there is a lot of wear on the grasping grooves (aka lightening cuts) in the forestock. When new, those edges were really sharp and crisp.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Any one know what "P.S.A.L." stands for (Public School? American Legion?)?

I think it's "Paul Steinmayer's Arms Limited"... How's that sound?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

P.S.A.L. NYC = Paul Steinmayer Arms Luster - Not Your Carbine!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

LOL Ok then!