Krag grading

U.S. Military Krags
reincarnated

Re: Krag grading

Post by reincarnated »

PSAL? About 4 years ago, I was doing some research for an article I wrote about Winder Muskets. I came across 4 issues of the NY Times, about 1907 & 1908, in which they reported on something called "schoolboy matches" held as a part of a big sportsmans' show, maybe in Madison Square Garden. The issues were 2 consecutive week-ends, maybe in April (?) for two consecutive years.

The article reported the boy shooters names & scores and told which school they represented. It explained that the match was shot with .22s on a range on the main floor. After the match, the boys were allowed to go to the range in the basement, where they were allowed to shoot the Krag and the Maxim gun.

When I read that, I could not imagine letting high school kids shoot a Krag with 220 grain military ammo in the basement. I assumed that the kids were shooting GPRs. Now I am not so sure. There was an official gallery load for the Krag. It was reportedly quite inaccurate, which led to the Stevens-Pope conversions, the subsequent Army political flap and the eventual production of GPRs in 1907-1908. I assumed that with the GPR, the Krag gallery load was abandoned. But surely enough could be found to let each kid bang away with a Krag a few times. I further assumed that the kids were allowed to touch and play with the Maxim. After this, I am not so sure. If allowed to do so, I would be first in line to fire a Krag gallery load in a Maxim.

My view is that PSAL-NYC may well increase the value of that particular carbine, if some supporting documents can be found. There are still thousands of complete & authentic carbines and tens of thousands of similar infantry rifles. But has anyone ever seen that stock marking before?

amb4JC

Post by amb4JC »

Thanks for all the information. I am going to be selling it, but it appears the classified section is not used often on this site. Is there a site for antique gun sales that you could recommend?

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yes. www.gunbroker.com

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

What is the difference between grasping grooves and lightening cuts?

I always thought that lightening cuts were made on the interior of rifle stocks.

amb4JC

Post by amb4JC »

Thanks. It is listed on Gunbroker per your suggestion.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I looked on Gunbroker & could not find it. Can someone please supply a link?

amb4JC

Post by amb4JC »

Auction # 398435559 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=398435559

Top Dean

Post by Top Dean »

guess he was asking a bit much!!!!!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I had some correspondence with him. It was originally listed as a "rifle", so I suggested that he change it to "carbine" and also that, while it was certainly his business, the price was pretty steep. It's a nice piece, but the stock marking is really in your face.

amb4JC

Post by amb4JC »

Actually, I appreciated Dick's input and changed the listing to a "carbine" and lowered the price per his suggestion. I researched and found one that sold on GunBroker on February 22, 2009 in "fine" condition for $2,750 and I believe mine is actually in better condition than the one that sold. As for the stock, Dick stated it was a "push" in terms of value I assume because some people might appreciate the history.