What is it ???

European Krags
carbon outlaw

What is it ???

Post by carbon outlaw »

Found this at the local backwoods gun store today 50.00 dollars I was all set to buy it until I took a closer look so what is it it don't appear to be a 30-40 krag ???ImageImageImageImageImage

carbon outlaw

Re: What is it ???

Post by carbon outlaw »

I used my cell phone to post the pictures so you have to move the gray over to see the hole picture thanks for looking Carbon Outlaw ...

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

this is just another comment it had a really nice barrel some one started to do a nice job to restore ... the barrel almost looks like its stainless steel ....

FredC

Post by FredC »

With an changed out barrel it could be chambered for anything. Probably need to do a barrel/chamber cast. The experts will be able to figure out what it started out as. I think both rimmed and bottle neck cartridges were used in Europe. Any guess as to the bore size?
If you are adventuresome might be worth $50.00 to find out.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'carbon outlaw' - If I understand your question, you are not at all familiar with this Krag variation?

The barreled action is from a Danish model 1889 Krag-Jorgensen rifle, that was made in 1911.

I can not tell from your photos if the barrel is an altered Danish barrel or some type of re-barrel.

The original chambering would be for the rimmed 8mm Danish cartridge. The Danish barrels used a form of rifling similar to Medford Rifling ('Rasmussen Rifling').

IMHO- It is easily worth $50 for parts and conversation.

More information can be found in 'photo tab' on KCA pages and in past threads under 'European Krags'.

p.s. - It appears part of the 'follower' is missing or altered. This suggests possible alteration to feed a non-standard cartridge.

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

so I took your suggestion and purchased it .. wow this is a expensive rifle to make I cant be leave the quality work they put into manufacturing this rifle ... every part has a matching serial a number ImageImageImageImageImage

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

The refiling is in good shape ... it has a huge bore 11.5 mm or 45 caliber I have no idea what caliber this mite be ... it dose look like its not a original barrel it has no sights or any holes like it ever had any installed any ideas as to the cartridge it takes ??? thanks Carbon Outlaw .... Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

You will have to do a chamber cast and you may as well drive a lead slug down the bore.

I would start with an empty .45-70 case to see if it fits.

The follower has been modified to probably feed a non-original cartridge.

Have fun with the new toy.

You can always get your money back by 'parting it out'.

p.s. The original 8mm barrel would have been covered with a sheet metal jacket.

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

wow im impressed it is a 45-70 conversion ... I am not going to part it out I think its so unique im going to finish it and keep it around ... thanks for your help ... as you can see its been ground out to except the larger 45-70 round well thanks again you made my day ... Carbon Outlaw ....ImageImageImageImage

FredC

Post by FredC »

Wowsers, a 45/70 Krag, if you can get it to feed reliably you will have close to the ultimate pig gun!
It obviously did not get finished. I can see a few things that make one question the skill level of the previous owner. Maybe the things I see were just not finished because the previous owner got old or died too soon. Watch out for Bubba-ish stuff.