What have I got?

European Krags
Oly Olson

Re: What have I got?

Post by Oly Olson »

Hot dog, 1894 stock sets came up on gunbroker again, and I ordered one. This rifle is on its way to being in proper configuration! Well, close as I'm going to get it. Now to get that front sight!

Nice!! Your Stomper is just a few numbers from mine! Almost exactly the same markings. (I just posted pics of mine to the other Stomper thread.) Mine looked unfired when I got it as well.

Hubba hubba! :D

Oly

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Front sight is on the way, so is the stock set, from Poland. If anyone has an 1894 stock already cut for a 24" barreled rifle, I'd prefer not to cut down a full length stock.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

All the parts I need have arrived from across the pond. I would still rather not cut the full length stock, so I'll put the project on hold for now. There is another 1944 stomperud with serial # over 1000 on GB as I write this, 6/22/17. That will be an auction I'll be watching! http://www.gunbroker.com/item/658795690

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The infamous "gray blanket" seller - that one will mysteriously sell for $1,875!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

He comes up with some fairly rare stuff, I've noted.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Already I have a dilemna. Here's pic of the stomperud sitting in a 1894 stock I purchased. Serial # of the stock indicates a Steyr made Krag was in it at one time. Looking around at other images of the model, it appears the front barrel band is behind a step that is in the barrel. However, the upper band that came on mine would best fit just forward of that step. It appears that I would be better off to shorten it by taking a portion out of the middle and splicing the front part where the upper band seat and spring are, in the right place. The other stomperuds I can find images of must have used some other front band. Taking a piece out of the middle would save me from having to cut a new band seat, drilling a new hole for the band spring, and cutting a proper spring slot where there's a lightening cut. It may come out a bit longer in the nose than than other stompers, but I think it would be best for accuracy. I might have to dress up the joint, but I need to finish the removal of some varnish that someone else started anyway.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Just an 'up-date' - The 1944 "Stomperud" for sale on GunBroker (by 'gray blanket') sold for $1,650.

Seems my WAG, that it would mysteriously sell for $1,875 was a bit overly exaggerated.

FWIW - There are a lot of Krag models I would rather have for that kind of money.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I asked him about the distance from muzzle to front of the upper band on it, 6". If I splice this as I'm presently figuring, that distance would be 5&3/16th. I'm not budging, unless I happen to see one of those larger diameter bands. I'll keep looking at some of the others that were done during the occupation. I can see that it was once in a military stock, despite being purchased as a barreled action. Where I can see that there was once a band is about 6&1/4" back from the muzzle.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Just an 'up-date' - The 1944 "Stomperud" for sale on GunBroker (by 'gray blanket') sold for $1,650.

Seems my WAG, that it would mysteriously sell for $1,875 was a bit overly exaggerated.

FWIW - There are a lot of Krag models I would rather have for that kind of money.

I'm with butlersrangers on this one. Way too much, unless a guy is into Nazi memorabilia. But my suspicious nature says "how do we really know how much it sold for?" Is it possible for a shill to run up the bids?

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I've seen that on ebay. Guy helped sell a very rusty old Lyman Alaskan in a G&H mount. That was back when you could dig a little about users, communicate with others. Turned out the seller and shill only lived a few miles apart and both were in the antique business. The scope and mount were junk, but bidding got up over $700 with the shill trying to say the patent date, about the only thing that could be read, was unique in some way. One could look at the bid history on gunbroker, but that may only reveal that a certain buyer bids on certain types of guns, or often bids on gray blanket guy's auctions. Whether or not it's with the intent to run up the bid, who can say?