.243 Win Norwegian Krag

European Krags
madsenshooter

Re: .243 Win Norwegian Krag

Post by madsenshooter »

I'd have some brass to use for that idea. I have a couple Japanese type 38s chambered for 6.5x257Roberts. I have S&B 6.5x57 ammo that I have sized down using the rifles. Still, wouldn't it require an improved configuration to clean up the .243 chamber?, Unless it's setback. I don't imagine SAAMI .244 pressures are any lower than .243, so I'd still have the same hot factory ammo problem.

However, right now I have the barrel seated to the point that the bolt will just close freely, it appearing to me that the boltface contacts the breechface, leaving no fore and aft play as the guide rib contacts the receiver. Closes the same on a full length sized case, but if let down slowly on a once fired and unsized case (likely fired in a Handi-rifle), it doesn't go all the way down on it's own.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

. . . wouldn't it require an improved configuration to clean up the .243 chamber?, Unless it's setback.

Yes, unless you're sufficiently unconventional to accept the ~.020" secondary shoulder that appears when we ream a .243 Win to .244 Rem. Fired brass might look a little odd, but should function fine in a neck-sizing environment.

coastie

Post by coastie »

Check your project!!!

LEFT HAND THREADS!

Good luck.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Oh I know, that's how I recognized the two barrels for what they were on ebay. Brought in back in the 50s by Globe Firearms Co. They were converting Norwegians to both .308 and .243. The .308 was their model 777 I believe. Don't know what the model # of the .243 was, but I know of at least one in Canada that a fellow has been using with factory varmint ammo on coyotes. I noticed that Remington and Hornady both make a reduced recoil loading in .243 both of which produce some mild pressure. I could mark the loading gate as only for those loads, and/or Hodgdon youth loads! I hereby disavow any responsibility for any future harm that might come to those who do not read!