A cheek-piece solution?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

A cheek-piece solution?

Post by butlersrangers »

I have a "scoped" Krag carbine that I never play with, because, "it is a pain in the neck".

It should be a great rifle for load development, because: it is quite accurate, has a minty bore, and the scope would help minimize sight-picture variables.

The problem is the absence of 'cheek-weld', (due to low comb and high/off-set mount). With my head up in the air, neck strain quickly destroys consistency.

I tried a replica M1 leather 'lace-on' cheek pad once, but, it didn't fit stock contours and slipped around.

A "Beartooth" slip-on kit arrived today. This $20 Ebay find doesn't look too bad and there's different inserts to allow adjustment of height. (I overlapped two medium foam pads and cheek-weld seems good. The 'stretchy-cloth' over neoprene design seems to stay in place).

I will up-date with Range experience, soon.ImageImage

carbon outlaw

Re: A cheek-piece solution?

Post by carbon outlaw »

I was making a cheek rest last week haven't tried it yet but have a look ... ImageImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

Very interesting and fancy!

How are those coins fixed into the leather? I hope they are fastened well so they don't pop out during recoil.

Never seen anything like this before. Thanks for posting.

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

I purchase coins that only have one good side very cheep and solder them onto a thin sheet of brass drill holes and sandwich them onto the leather ... very secure that way ...

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice Leather-Work!

I needed to build up more comb height and am a minimalist in terms of decoration.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Very nice approach to securing the coins. I'm mainly a US coin collector but yours has great appeal with those pieces.

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

I was making a cheek rest to go with a ammo belt i made ... have a look ...ImageImageImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

That looks more like a money belt with some ammo instead of an ammo belt with some money!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The KCA 'Fashion Show':Image

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

I had the same issue with shooting my Remington 513T .22 match rifle with a High mounted vintage scope. Put the stretch over "Beartooth" pad system on. It made a world of difference. They are a bit tricky to install. Not vintage but it put points on the target scores. I tried the M1 Garand leather pad first also. No modifications to an original rifle can't be bad.