side plate scope mount

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Ned Butts
Site Admin

side plate scope mount

Post by Ned Butts »

A few basic pictures

img img img img

started like this, I cut and ground to shape and had it welded to the side plate. rail needed a little tweeking to be "parallel" with the barrel. this is the prototype and I never got to refining it

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Re: side plate scope mount

Post by Tom Butts »

I put a dot sight on the one we built for me. That is working well.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I've never seen a Krag with a dot sight on it. I think that would be a great shooting combination!

Thanks for giving me a future project to work on, Tom.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Whig,
If you look at my old thread on my sporterized 35/40 it has a red dot sight. They are quick to get on target in heavy brush. Just the thing for pig hunting. Since mine has a 3 minute dot it will not let you shoot fine high scoring targets. Also mine does not work in moonlight at all. With my 4 power Weaver I could get one shot off on a pig in near full moon situations. Would take several minutes of setting the cross hairs on the pig then lifting so you could see them again. No contrast with black pigs and black cross hairs at night. Also the weight of the red dot is only a couple of ounces so recoil will have little tendency to move sight around.

Tom, pictures please. Would like to see yours also.

Whig

Post by Whig »

That's one of the great advantages of a dot sight- quick target acquisition.

I remember my brother having an old Qwik Point red dot scope in the early 1970s. It used ambient light collected by a large red fiber optic and offset it to your view through a scope tube. The dot was superimposed over your target and it had a big red dot over the target.

Worked really nice but it was big and obtrusive. Pretty nice for early 70s, though.

I sold it when I got it from him years later. Seemed useless, then, but it would have been nice to have as a keepsake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKn-jx6d2aY

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

I was look for a way to mount a scope on the side plate and came up with this idea ... I have a lot of Stith scope mounts and I found one that fits perfect and lines up straight it would be easy to drill and tap and mount these as a base for a side mounted scope base ... have a look ...ImageImageImageImageImage

carbon outlaw

Post by carbon outlaw »

something like this ..ImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

That looks like it took a good bit of work but you did a nice neat job without damaging the Krag. Many extra side plates around to mount one of these to.

Good job. I like ingenuity.

MATTICUS1631

Post by MATTICUS1631 »

carbon outlaw wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:41 pm I was look for a way to mount a scope on the side plate and came up with this idea ... I have a lot of Stith scope mounts and I found one that fits perfect and lines up straight it would be easy to drill and tap and mount these as a base for a side mounted scope base ... have a look ...
I was wondering what side mount is this that you used I have a sporterized krag I'm looking to put a 50s style side mount and scope on I was looking at weaver and williams

FredC

Post by FredC »

Matticus,
This site was down for several months and some of the members have not been back yet. Carbon outlaw has done some very interesting and creative things with Krags. It will be good to see what he is up to when he gets back.
The blocks that he was working with on that mock up mount may have been meant for another gun and just happened to fit. Till he gets back and lets us know it is just a guess.
If I wanted to put an old fashioned side mounted scope on a Krag, I would look at the new S&K no drill mount or find one of their previous no drill S&K mounts meant for Krags. The other route is to find one that is already drilled for a scope mount. I would not recommend defacing a good clean Krag to make a sporter when there are so many that have been modified and can not be brought back to original.

Butlersrangers experiment with an already drilled receiver is a good example of this. I am a machinist hand have made blank mounts then drilled them to a "map" of an already drilled receiver that did not match available mounts. Not every one can do this and hiring a gunsmith to do it will be expensive.