side plate scope mount

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
carbon outlaw

Re: side plate scope mount

Post by carbon outlaw »

Im back ... had to work all summer ... I am going to start working on my no drill side mount... cant wait to see how it turns out ..
Attachments
DSCN0825.JPG
DSCN0825.JPG (219.13 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
DSCN0824.JPG
DSCN0824.JPG (229.21 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
DSCN0823.JPG
DSCN0823.JPG (217.98 KiB) Viewed 2161 times
DSCN0822.JPG
DSCN0822.JPG (216.52 KiB) Viewed 2161 times

butlersrangers

Re: side plate scope mount

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO - A "side-plate mount" shows a lot of promise to conveniently add an off-set scope to a U.S. Krag, without marring the receiver.

As others have stated, loose Krag side-plates are relatively common and inexpensive.

The Krag side-plate has a relatively robust attachment.
Although, anchored at the rear with just one screw, the front of the plate attaches with a thick tenon that inserts into a cavity machined into the receiver.

When a rifle is fired and recoils, inertia causes the scope and mount to in effect 'press forward' against rifle surfaces moving to the rear. This would securely mate the tenon in its receiver recess. There likely would be very little 'shear stress' acting on the side-plate screw.

The biggest challenge (besides attractive appearance) would be achieving a strong attachment of mount, or mount base, to the side-plate.
Soldering or brazing might be good routes to go. The inside surface of the side-plate must be smooth and undisturbed.
Drilling & tapping would likely provide little thread engagement with the relatively thin side-plate.
Holes drilled into the side-plate and screw-tips would introduce roughness that would have to be ground smooth.

I suppose the best solution would be a precise 'investment-cast' replacement side-plate, that incorporates a mount or mount attachment into the casting. (However, lack of demand makes this unrealistic).