The Most Valuable Krags

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
King carp

Re: The Most Valuable Krags

Post by King carp »

In the Krag book by Brophy on page 24 there is a picture of Krag serial no. 1 which was converted to model 1896. It states it was burned in a fire during the 1930's. It does not state its fate.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks 'King Carp', it is amazing what one forgets and has to re-learn.

While you were researching, I was going through the online pages for the Springfield Armory N.H.P. collection, (which is not easy)!

I found the listing (SPAR 3193) for U.S. Rifle Model 1892 Krag-Jorgensen SN# 1. (I have seen these catalog pages before. It is an interesting read.).

The photo used in the listing looks a lot better than the photo and condition cited by Brophy. Maybe the catalog photo pre-dates the 1930's fire or Krag #1 was restored?

When the "Quarantine" is over, we are just going to have to go look ourselves!

Anyways, we know it exists, where it is, and that it's not for sale! It belongs to all of us, Yeah.

BTW - SPAR 697 - Is likely "Trial Rifle" No. 5.
A hand-stamped Norwegian prototype, serial #100, that is likely the very rifle that Erik Jorgensen wielded to win the hearts of the U.S. Ordnance Department, in the 1892 Trials. ImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I was simply noticing that Mallory's SRS tables start with U.S. Krag, #2.

What is the lowest U.S. Krag serial number a KCA member has seen, in person?

I have never seen anything less than four digits.

IMHO - Some 'mega valuable' Krags could be floating around in plain view, commanding no great premium, because they have not yet been identified and documented, as to provenance.

I've seen this one. I am just guessing but odds are good some of the founding KCA members have low number Krags in their collections.

The only valuable ones to me are the eight transition numbers. 1894-95, 1895-1896, 1896-Model 1896 and Model 1896 to Model 1898.Image
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I have handled 230, which had the only solid upper band I've ever seen) when owned by a friend here in the Bay Area - odd thing is that it ultimately wound up (unknown to me until he asked about about it one day - what a coincidence) in the collection of Joe Farmer!

The lowest number I have ever owned (and still do) is 2546.

For a very long time now, my rifle 37045 has stood as the highest observed "1896". The window has shrunk, over the years, to something less than 100, as the lowest "Model 1896" is now somewhere just over 37100. It would be tempting to think that they MIGHT have made the cutoff at a nice round number - but will we ever know? I doubt it.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hey Culpeper... Didn't you bring an 1892 in the 1000 range to Perry three years ago?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Now you know I did but I am too shy and unassuming and innocent to blow my my own horn. It was #112. Of course I am not one to settle for a three digit Krag. No. So the first chance I got to buy a two digit Krag I jumped at it. The price was right too.

Did I say modest? I'm modest also.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Here is the likely 'Daddy' rifle - Test rifle #5.

Also, one of the 'Cataract-Tool' scoped Krags.

Fortunately, some of the best/priceless Krag stuff is at Springfield or Rock Island and belongs to all of us! ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

One of the Kaiser's Mauser "Hunting" rifles was liberated by an American G.I., during WW-2.

Maybe his Krag had a similar fate? (Hopefully it didn't go to Russia).Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Now you know I did but I am too shy and unassuming and innocent to blow my my own horn. It was #112. Of course I am not one to settle for a three digit Krag. No. So the first chance I got to buy a two digit Krag I jumped at it. The price was right too.

Did I say modest? I'm modest also.

That's right... I knew it was a low number... but I forgot how low! I think I remember the number of the lower number too... but I won't say out of respect for your modesty!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Krag #71 is pretty cool. It screams to have its cut-down stock 'stretched'.