1898 Sporter Serial# 456713

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
mavt

Re: 1898 Sporter Serial# 456713

Post by mavt »

The bolt does not close on an empty case. The case rim as well as dummies are contacting the barrel face as did loaded rounds of two different OALs yesterday. With rifle on a stand in bright light I can see the bolt face initially stops about 3/32" (<1/8 but > 1/16) from the case about the same as with 407052 and then dropping the bolt handle about 1/4" as the lug begins to cam the bolt face forward it is contacting the case and stops there.

The same case inserted in 407052 is about even with the receiver back edge and with this rifle it is set in about 1/16" from back of receiver edge which is the only difference I can see.

There has been debate on whether Criterion barrels are short chambered or not. On this one the case appears to enter the chamber completely so would that not happen with a short chamber?

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Hi mavt,

You have a very nice Krag sporter...sorry your having difficulties with the bolt closing on 30-40 rounds.

I just wanted to mention that from time-to-time individuals will sell wide bladed front sights on eBay.

I have one on my 1898 Krag rifle and it sure makes a world of difference.

Haven't seen any recently but this one looks interesting that's currently listed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Krag-Front-Sight-Gun-Parts-Z-363-/233335320120?hash=item3653de6e38

FredC

Post by FredC »

Did the bolt close before the bluing with or without a case? The bluing should not alter the head space or metal to metal fits. My first thought is a deposit of bluing salts or polishing compound that has hardened and causing interference. I would use something like a plastic toothpick and pick in the locking lug recess, the extractor cut area and shoulder/rim areas where the case would seat.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If I understand correctly, this is a new criterion barrel? Is it possible that the barrel has been incorrectly indexed or machined and is turned in a little too far... far enough that the bolt is touching the rear of the barrel before the bolt is in battery? If the bolt won't close on an empty chamber, it ain't gonna close with an empty case in there either!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

If you sent "it off for installation of a 22" Criterion barrel" did you check the chambering when it first came back? As stated the blueing its self would not cause this unless there is residue of some kind in one of the recesses. If nothing is physically stopping the bolt from closing then this could be on the installer.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Try just closing a bare bolt (striker/extractor mechanism removed) in the action.

This will tell, if it is a bolt fit problem. (Very unlikely)

If the bare bolt closes. Try closing the bare bolt on a cartridge. This will check chamber dimension and minimum head-space. (Usually checked by barrel installer with a 'Go Gauge').

If the bare bolt closes on a cartridge, then the problem is likely with the extractor or 'extractor cut'. (Something interfering with the extractor being free to rise and snap over the cartridge rim).

Do your cartridge cases have a bevel on the rim?

(IIRC - Someone recently had a problem with Hornady .30-40 Brass, which was lacking the traditional bevel. The case bevel assists in the extractor 'claw' moving upward).

BTW - There is a slight inclined edge or shelf on the left interior of the Krag action.
The left edge of the extractor-spring rides under this surface to assist keeping downward tension on the extractor 'claw'. Check these surfaces for burrs or debris.Image

mavt

Post by mavt »

Thanks for the replies. To answer Ned's question first because others are probably wondering about this as well ... I did not check it for chambering when first received after the barrel installation. I had implied there were some issues in my initial post and in fact this rifle was sent back twice for issues related to the overall job but not involving the actual installation so I never did get to a point of chambering a case or dummy until this point. I also assumed that checking for function would have been part of the installation procedure and being preoccupied with the other issues I did not check it at that point...obviously now wished I had.

The cases I have empty, dummies and loaded are Remington so are beveled per specs. Also it may not have been clear before but the bolt does close on an empty chamber, although initially I had to slightly force it and it took a few more cycles until it felt normal. Its was the bolt from the other 1898 that didn't close on this empty chamber and I didn't want to force it.

The bare bolt closes easily on a dummy round with no pressure at all felt against the case or bolt lug. I also tried the full assembled bolt on a new 30-30 case and it chambered and extracted with no issue if any meaning can be derived from that.

I guess at this point it would appear to be an extractor issue but what puzzles me is the bolt face makes contact with the case when the bolt handle travel stops so doesn't appear there is room for anymore bolt forward movement to allow the extractor to jump the rim.

Due to events up until now I'd like to understand the problem as much as possible before sending it back so appreciate any additional insight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It sounds to me like the extractor notch is either not properly aligned (so as to be wide enough) or not properly angled to allow clearance of the 'claw', when it is holding a cartridge by the rim.

If both of your 'bare' Bolts will close on a cartridge, the Notch is the problem.
(Note - The sides of the barrel notch have to line up with the notch machined into the action and not make it narrower).

Clear photos of your barrel breech may allow us to spot something.

Attached photos to see one that works:ImageImageImage

Whig

Post by Whig »

As a few of us have stated, send it back on them. It needs fixed! Not up to you to diagnose specifically. It ain't working! You done paid good moolah for a job and you want to blast away with the Krag.

Good luck! I'm sure the gun smith will work with you and fix it and keep his reputation intact.

Keep us informed.

Texas10

Post by Texas10 »

Is it possible the person who did the blueing disassembled it and perhaps did not reassemble it correctly? I just can't imagine a competent gunsmith installing a new barrel and not checking fit and function.