Sporterized 1896 carbine

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Sporterized 1896 carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

'Aaron' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your metal does not look that bad to me. There appears to be lots of finish still on your barrel.

Using small #0000 steel wool pads soaked with penetrating oil or Hoppe's #9 will remove light surface rust and not harm metal finish and patina. Use just a light pressure and keep things moist with penetrating oil.

Heavier scale can be broken down with a worn bronze bore-brush, copper penny, edge of a discarded brass cartridge case and penetrating oil.

I have had luck with a mixture of linseed oil & pumice or rotten-stone, used with the edge of a Popsicle Stick, to create a 'slurry' and burnish a rusty barrel surface into a pleasant patina. Go slow and occasionally wipe off mess with paper towel to check progress. (Repeat process until happy with results).

Aaron, I don't know if you are familiar with original Krag finishes. The various metal parts received specific and different metal finishes.

The metal was not a uniform "Bluing".

Krag barrels were rust blued (officially called 'browning').

The Reciever, side-plate & magazine-door were case-hardened. This was mottled colors that often turn silvery with age.

The Bolt body was polished bright. The extractor-spring was flame blue. The striker-knob and bolt-sleeve were case-colored. Screws were blackened.

BTW - Original Krag American walnut stocks were stained at Springfield Armory with Logwood, which gave a reddish-brown color, prior to getting their linseed oil finish.

An original Krag rear sight will hide the unofficial 'dovetail' that was added to your barrel. The Krag sight screws are a peculiar 30 tpi. Reproduction screws are available from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y.

(FWIW - I have Krag #81028. It is a cut-down model 1896 rifle. I recently fitted it to a poorly cut-down model 1898 stock, to make what I call, a 'Faux' or false 1896 Carbine. The front-sight is a 1903 Springfield sight, so no one should be deceived in the future).Image

FredC

Post by FredC »

We are just so full of helpful advice! If you do go with an original sight it will only be accurate at 100 yards or whatever you set your front sight for (I might go for 150 yd zero). Grandpa's for that cut off switch. I think they may be different for the 96 receiver. If you end up using the scope and the cut off is in the way a piece of steel could be fitted and filed to shape to allow cartridges to feed freely and without damage to the rims, I think I have heard of the right size nail being filed to shape for this.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Aaron', from your photos it appears your Krag was drilled for a Weaver #2 side-mount plate.

The scope mount that attaches to this plate is still made or available. This is not a bad rig if you ever wish to try a scope on your Krag.

I have a model 1898 carbine that was unfortunately 'drilled & tapped'. It is a good Range gun.

(p.s. Any of the various U.S. Krag 'magazine cut-offs' will work with the model 1896 action. The Weaver side-mount interferes with rotating the issue safety-lever, but, not the cut-off lever).

The Weaver mount is off-set to the left, so the 'iron sights' can still be used with the scope in place.

Attached photos of Weaver #2 plate and mount:ImageImage

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wow you guys are really helpful, I do plan on using the sights for now and possibly a scope later! I will keep you guys updated with my progress and questions. I also bought some brass for reloading.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Besides being helpful, these guys are a lot of fun. We have this thread going but it has not been updated lately (see below). There are a lot more feet photos not added, but you will get the idea and contribute one of your own one of these days.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1572280689

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

Welcome to the Krag club. A great place to learn all things Krag. Ive used oily bronze wool to clean bluing without hurting it. Make sure your [wheat] penny is copper not copper-zinc alloy.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

All 'wheat-back' U.S. Lincoln cents are copper. It's the 'Lincoln Memorial-back' pennies that were eventually changed to zinc alloy. (Year)?

Whig

Post by Whig »

As stated above, use a copper penny made before 1982.

If your Lincoln Memorial penny has a date before 1982, it is made of 95% copper. If the date is 1983 or later, it is made of 97.5% zinc and plated with a thin copper coating.

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

A little 78 penny, wd40 and fine steel wool goes a long ways. How can I polish the bolt etc ? Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Aaron - I'm sorry your thread kind of got hi-jacked with other topics.

IMHO - It would be a mistake to put a 'high polish' on your bolt. Given the patina that is present on your other parts, a bright polished bolt would look real odd.

I would recommend you take a 2" X 1" piece of green scotch-brite pad, damped it with Hoppe's or penetrating oil, and burnish your Bolt, following the machined contours and avoid 'rounding' sharp edges.

BTW - Your photo shows that your Bolt has been fitted with a commercial Buehler Safety. This is a nice feature if you use a scope on your Krag.