Looking for a sporterized stock

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Stretch32

Re: Looking for a sporterized stock

Post by Stretch32 »

Gents,

Making some progress on the rifle. I got a sporter stock from HeyJoe (thanks Sir) and some other parts from a buddy of mine. I bought a new Criterion Krag carbine barrel from the CMP as well.

I still need to reblue some parts along with the new barrel then have the barrel installed and finished reamed. Once thats done I can assemble everything.

I do need two parts:

A Buehler low scope safety. If anyone has a spare theyd part with please let me know.

A Weaver N2 or N3 side scope mount to go on the receiver since its already drilled / tapped. Can someone provide input as to which one I need or which would work best? I was planning to use a 4 or 6 power vintage scope like a Lyman or Weaver if that helps

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stretch

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Culp... you should remember Stretch. He shot in the Roosevelt with us in 2017, you remember... the year you just showed up and surprised (scared?) the hell out of all of us!

Yes Sir. Stretch is a fine man. Pride of the Navy. Too bad I don't any parts to contribute to the project.

And I don't want to take the thread down the rabbit hole and hear about it from Ned.

We'll want to see pics when you're done, Stretch.

Culpeper

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Well, Ive got almost everything I need to build a rifle (including a Buehler low scope safety). I need to find a lower barrel band / sling swivel and thats it.

At this point, I need to find a place to hot blue some parts and someone to install my CBI barrel and finish ream it.

Im not sure how long it will take me but Ill post pictures once its done. My sister should be happy.

Stretch

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

You da man Greg!

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Finally updating this old thread.

After a lot of detours and side tracks I finally got this rifle together and sent to my sister. I had all the metal re-blued and purchased a NOS bolt body. I also installed a Criterion carbine barrel (which is still slightly fatter at the breach than an original). The scope is an old Weaver D4 and the mount is an N3 that fit the holes that were already drilled in the receiver when I got it (hence the scope / mount choice).

Overall I think it turned out very good and I just wanted to say thank you to all the members that helped with parts and tools to get this together. Hopefully my sister enjoys it as much as I enjoyed building it.

Here are the finished shots right before I sent it out.
Attachments
Sporter 2.jpg
Sporter 2.jpg (952.84 KiB) Viewed 1321 times
Sporter 1.jpg
Sporter 1.jpg (888.1 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Beautiful work!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

That is a right dandy looking rig there Greg!!! Of course, that scope looks like it would be right at home in a Vintage Sniper match (hmmmm gots me thinking?)! I'm sure your sis will get tons of enjoyment and lots of good game out of this fine specimen!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

What a nice present for your sister!

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

BR, you were a big help with the Krag action wrench nut I borrowed from you. It made putting on the new barrel pretty easy along with the barrel vice I picked up on eBay.

I’m working on a ‘99 carbine now and may need that action wrench nut again….

Stretch

waterman

Post by waterman »

I'm glad the hot blue worked properly. I've seen a lot of them turn an ugly shade of purple. Back in the 50s and 60s, it was so common we called it "Krag purple".