Building a sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
King carp

Re: Building a sporter

Post by King carp »

Hello: I am using Jeff coopers ideas on my scout rifle. Making it compact, and light as possible. His idea for the long eye relief scope was to preserve the shooters peripheral vision allow easy reloading, and avoid hitting your eye with the scope from recoil. He also liked the idea of a magazine cutoff on the rifle. Well the krag has the cutoff built in so that's a plus. He also said it should have a 22 inch barrel. My barreled action just happens to have a 22 inch barrel. He liked the .308 cartridge in his design. I think the 30-40 krag is in the ballpark in this respect. Keeping the weight down for the rifle and me is the main problem so far! Lol.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I found one thread with several scout rifles photos.
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1516627587/0

Looks like Carbon outlaw has a scout it must be in another thread. He did have a real nice looking sporter with a different mount.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

oh mannnnn go old school! You have a vintage rifle ready for a vintage scope! and you can do it for cheap.

Mark_Daiute

Post by Mark_Daiute »

but if you must...

https://kraghaus.com/

King carp

Post by King carp »

It is nice to have options! I am trying to keep the investment as low as possible. The way it's going the rifle is going to look different than your average krag. Since the barreled action came so mutilated I am going to experiment with some ideas. Thanks for everyone's input.
Kc

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I like sighting options. I have Kraghaus mounts, receiver sights, a variety of Krag sights, and this thing, a Miller Kodiak mount. The Miller can be quickly removed and a no gunsmith receiver sight put on. I also have a bolt with a Rice peep I can put in after removing the Miller. Removal is a simple matter of rotating 90 degrees. I have one drilled and tapped receiver that I'm building into a benchrest rifle with a heavy Wilson barrel. I dream a lot, seldom get around to the actual building!

King carp

Post by King carp »

That rifle has the looks of a tack driver! Do the empties hit the scope upon extraction? I do a lot of dreaming also. I hope I can get this project done during the winter. I have most of the parts I am going to use. I wish I could devote more time to it but that's the way it goes. It will come together at some point. Thanks for the ideas on mounts.
Kc

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

The empties don't hit the scope, they hit the rear of the mount. In the field, if I turned the rifle sideways, not hard to do while you have hold of the bolt handle, they'd fall out. But on the bench they pop up a little then fall back down into the action.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I have a long eye relief scope that will sit in front of the reciever.