Paint fixes everthing.

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
fumehappy

Paint fixes everthing.

Post by fumehappy »

Not sure what I have here, but I do know that it's sparkly. Apparently whoever thought automotive paint would look good on an antique firearm also took the time to prime it as well. On the bright side, the stock appears original. the pistol grip was added later. Receiver marked 1894, sn 66xx or 68xx, not sure cause of the way the paint is glopped on.
:DImage

psteinmayer

Re: Paint fixes everthing.

Post by psteinmayer »

Holy Rock-A-Moly!!!

Now there's one bubba never thought of...

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You know, some secrets should STAY secret! That's totally destroyed my appetite for breakfast!

fumehappy

Post by fumehappy »

Don't worry. I"m going to fix it up just fine with my coarse wire wheel on a 1 hp grinder.

*kidding*

Local Boy

Post by Local Boy »

Used to work with some teletype maintenance guys (showing my age) who's shop saying was "Beat it to Fit and Paint it to Match".

I wonder if the previous owner was a teletype maintenance guy??? :-?

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I'm not sure about the hole spacing, but at one time the William's Mount for the Krag was the same as the one for the Remington 8 or 81, and took four screws instead of the 3 screws their present mount takes.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I think 'fumehappy' is right to see this as an interesting challenge.

When he removes the Cheek Pad and Black Paint from the stock, there may be a very nice Mannlicher Style stock with wood worthy of refinish and a more traditional butt-pad.

Bead blasting the paint from the metal and putting a matt 'blue' finish on the metal might look good.

I like Mannlicher stocks and think there is potential for a nice Krag sporter, under the paint.

fumehappy

Post by fumehappy »

Making progress... receiver bluing is intact under the paint. Pistol grip is definitely an addition, and will be coming off. Still hunting for a cartouche.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I bought a stock real cheap once with a crude, added on, pistol grip.

Cutting and reshaping part of the pistol grip at least made the stock contour more pleasing.

The stock now resides on a utility 'sportered' Krag. Actually, the wrist area may be stronger now than it was originally!

ImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I have an Arisaka carbine that's in a Mannlicher style stock. Very dense wood, weighs a ton. Someone's long ago project that never got finished.