1898 rear sight screw holes in wrong location (?)

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
gtbee80

1898 rear sight screw holes in wrong location (?)

Post by gtbee80 »

1898 carbine #105621 (1898 rifle for comparison), I can't see any evidence of any original holes or filled in holes. These 2 holes are properly spaced apart so I can mount any of my Krag rear sights OK and the holes 'appear' (don't know for sure) to be tapped original M4x1mm because all the sight screws work OK too. So I can install a rear sight but obviously not a hand-guard. Both holes are shifted ~0.75" toward receiver. This piece has a 22" barrel with what appears to be correct front sight (not pictured).Image

gtbee80

Re: 1898 rear sight screw holes in wrong location (?)

Post by gtbee80 »

Detail of barrel...of there were ever properly spaced holes drilled they would be ~0.75" to the left of each of these holes.Image

gtbee80

Post by gtbee80 »

S/NImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'gtbee80' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your "carbine", #105621, is actually a U.S. Model 1896 Krag-Jorgensen rifle that has been shortened. It is easy to misread 1896 as 1898.

It is possible your Krag's barrel is a replacement and not an original Krag barrel. Or, it has been shortened 3/4" at the breech, re-threaded and re-chambered.

Either possibility might explain the incorrect sight hole placement.

Your barrel's taper does not appear to fit normally in the Stock's barrel-channel.

FWIW - Attached photos show correct Krag barrel breech and extractor-notch, Krag barrel proof "P", and index mark on action/barrel.

Compare your stripped Krag with my photos.ImageImageImage

gtbee80

Post by gtbee80 »

OK, thanks! I'll strip it down and look for all those things.

Whoever did whatever they did made sure to maintain the 22" overall barrel length as measure with the bolt closed & a cleaning rod down the muzzle. I have 2 such "carbines" (muzzles pictured, not perfectly lined up but both 22").

If there is anything to deduce from the front sight please do. The piece in question is at the top in the 2 barrel pix. The blade is aftermarket, installed by me (original was missing).ImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

The lower pic's front sight mounting doesn't appear to be original. Hard to tell what the barrel was made from, it doesn't quite appear to be Krag taper either. You could get a blank repro handguard and cut your own sight slot, or mount a receiver sight and leave the blank handguard covering your holes. Since you have that tall front blade, you might be able to get it on target.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I beg to differ with 'Madsenshooter'.

OP's lower Krag appears to have the correct muzzle crown and a Springfield Armory base attachment. (The top of the front-sight base does appear filed down or altered).

The upper Krag (right photo) appears to have an incorrect crown and a re-attached front-sight base. (Not S.A. work).ImageImage

gtbee80

Post by gtbee80 »

Thanks all and I think you're on to it. Attached are (not the best) pix.

1. The chamber area looks OK or the same as BR, please comment if I'm wrong or missing something.
2. I see no 'P' proof mark anywhere on the barrel...plus...I see lots of 'scars' on the barrel near the chamber as though in a vise or some sort of toothed grip...artifacts of the re-barreling (??).
3. The muzzle crown looks like another '98 Krag I have that was cut to 24.5" while my other two unaltered '96's have a more smooth & rounded muzzle crown that to my untrained eye looks genuine.
4. Agreed on the front sights observations.

Appreciate all the help!ImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'gtbee80' - It would be a good thing to have a chamber cast made on this Krag!

That does not appear to be a Krag barrel and there is an odd step machined into the rear face of the barrel.

It looks like the chamber can accept a thicker rim than the .30-40.

Since the .30-40 cartridge case head-spaces on the cartridge rim, this 'step' may introduce excessive head-space.

(Note step pointed out by 'arrow').Image

gtbee80

Post by gtbee80 »

OK, thanks BR!

I took a quick look at the chamber of another one of my Krag"carbines" and a Krag rifle and the former had a similar but less pronounced artifact/annular ring/thing and the latter did not (matched your original picture). So that makes 2 of my pieces with this artifact/annular ring/thing.

I will tear the 2nd one down & post pix, may take me a day or so.