Charles Bliss Hosmer (1814-1888)

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Charles Bliss Hosmer (1814-1888)

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick Hosmer has an amazing family connection to Springfield Armory. Hosmer ancestors worked at the armory from 1809 to 1923.

One such kinsman, Charles Bliss Hosmer, worked in the milling shop at Springfield from at least 1873 to 1887 (age 73).

Recently, while searching through Springfield, Ma. Census records for information on J. Sumner Adams, I began encountering Hosmer families. Dick has been very generous in sharing information about his family and Springfield.

Charles B. Hosmer has proven interesting. His address (73 Oak St.) and connection to the U.S. Armory is documented in the 1880 Census. His house location is shown on an 1882 street map. Remarkably, that building is still standing!

I find it most interesting to get even minor insights into the men who labored at Springfield. To be able to do so on a home computer is a fun intellectual exercise.

(Note - on the plat map, the 'Hosmer' home on Oak St. is almost opposite the school building. Also, Samuel W. Porter owns two neighboring buildings on the corner of Quincy St. (his S.W.P. 'cartouche' is on numerous 'trap-doors, and early Krags). ImageImageImageImage

Dick Hosmer

Re: Charles Bliss Hosmer (1814-1888)

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Chuck, I appreciate the post.

There is a slight error, however - Charles stopped work at SA in 1887, not 1893.

And, I have to give credit where credit is due - the emergence of the Hosmer SA payroll records are due to the work of Al Frasca. I knew of the family association, from a "Gun Report" article, and we'd talked about it briefly, but he did the grunt work.

Your comment about the usefulness of a home computer cannot be understated. Just found this:Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: I corrected the date error in my post. Thank you for adding the photo of the tombstone. (May I ask: Where did you find it)?

The computer is no substitute for seeing things 'First Hand', but, it is amazing for some of the preliminary information that can be accessed and shared. (This saves a lot of expense, wasted effort, and 'blind' travel).

I have never been to Springfield, Ma., but, I have enjoyed this past two weeks' shared exploration of period maps, 'Bird's Eye Views', and current 'street level views' of old addresses. When I do travel to Springfield, I will have an increased understanding and idea of things I want to see.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Chuck,

I use a site called Findagrave.com.

Not always a sure thing, but it has been proven very helpful.

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

Dick:

Another point of interest about your relative. According to the Document recording his daughter Eliza's birth on March 6, 1849, he lived at 109 North St in New Bedford (see photo attached). By the looks of this photo taken recently, this is probably the original house.Image

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

Part of the Document which also states his profession. I believe this child was with his first wife.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

(First Wife)? - Caroline E. (Jones) was still his wife in the 1880s. It is interesting that Charles B. Hosmer is listed as a "master mariner", on this 1849 birth record. neat find.

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

I stand corrected. She was his first and only.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"Charles B. gave up the Sea -

- so He could work at the Armoree".

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I have the actual marriage date as 19 June, so they wasted no time!

AFAIK, she was actually born in North Dartmouth.

That is a MUCH nicer house than his later abode on King Street - must be a story there.
Or, is your picture wrong? The printed Google ID in upper right corner does not match your address? Not even same street. But, Google can be pretty squirrelly at times.

Ahh, now I see - but, the front door faces County St., and apparently always did, so that building cannot be the original - I suspect the 1830s(?) building was demolished and a newly oriented structure (which I agree survives) was built in the 1870s/80s. Just a guess, given the sketchy facts actually known.