Springfield 1898 mannlicher 30-40 krag Ackley Impr

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
FredC

Re: Springfield 1898 mannlicher 30-40 krag Ackley Impr

Post by FredC »

The more I look the more I think something is up with this rifle. Today I got 100 unfired cases in, they are definitely different from my case. I wish it would let me upload a picture but the files are too large. There 100% is a visual difference in these cases though.

I think brass manufacturers take a little liberty with Krag and maybe other rimmed cases. Since these cases headspace on the rim they can give themselves more tolerance on the shoulder which has to be held tight on regular bottle neck cases. Your earlier photo is looks exactly like the before and after I get with Remington brass. I am with Parashooter and think you have a standard chamber.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I rechambered a friends 98 rifle that had a bad spot on the shoulder to 30-40AI. We got most of the bad spot out. We discovered it wouldn't feed the blown out cases! It would have taken some work on the sideplate and/or receiver in order to get it to. Just a note for anyone who might be considering the Ackley. There's a bit more work involved.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

You have not shown us the rifle, but some of the old conversions were A#1 hunting rifles.

When Ackley "Improved" the Krag case, he shortened the neck and increased the powder capacity. The ordinary Krag case has enough powder capacity for the unwary to get into trouble. These are 110+ year-old rifles, NOT .308s, even though the powder capacity is similar.

Use fire-formed cases with just enough neck-sizing to hold the bullet in place. Stick to ordinary loads only. The deer, coyote, bear or paper target will never know the difference.

Make up dummies (no powder or primer) using your fired & neck sized cases and new bullets. Try them in the rifle for magazine functioning before you mess about with load development.

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

I appreciate this question, answers given and especially the picture of the fired and unfired cartridge case. I had similar concerns with my sporter since it had a barrel replacement (a 1903 Springfield barrel dated 1/09) before I obtained it. My reloaded cases just didn't look right. I suspected what was going on, but wasn't sure.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

For the benefit of those having trouble understanding the amount of body/shoulder clearance in a normal US Krag chamber, here's a photo showing a fired case and a new case. Note, the difference in shoulder position is absolutely normal.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

That's a perfect example of why it's ok to Neck-Size only too. Once the shoulder is expanded and moved, the case is "fit to the chamber" and resizing the neck is necessary to provide tension on the bullet, but not to fit the chamber. This saves on wear on the brass because resetting the shoulder is not needed.