External Firing Pin Assembly Differences

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
RomeoJim

Re: External Firing Pin Assembly Differences

Post by RomeoJim »

We definitely are neighbors. Though I live in Macomb County now, I grew up in Royal Oak ( which has significantly changed from my childhood days back in the 50s.

My grandfather's Model 1898 Krag still has a barrel band that with a screw that retains it from the underside of the stock. However there is no barrel band on my dad's Model 1899. There are two tapped holes on the top of the barrel that I assume are for the original military rear sight. No sign of cracks are apparent in the stock at this point, but I will remove the stock and evaluate it. I noticed that it almost feels like the barrel is free floated. I wonder if it would be wise to glass bed the action to strengthen the stock and reinforce the recoil lug area, unless I could obtain and install an original barrel band and then inlet the stock to accommodate it. Any recommendations?
I enclosed a pic of my grandfather's Model 1898 to show the barrel band. This is the one I hunted with after inheriting it back in 1980. Now my youngest son now uses to hunt whitetail with it and loves the fact that it's been in the family for years.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Your 'scoped' Krag has 1950-60 'Weatherby Styling'.

I would shoot your model 1899 first, before messing with the barrel harmonics. I just wanted you aware of potential strain on the stock.

(p.s. - I grew up in the south-end of Royal Oak, a long time ago. I remember 'Snapps' and 'Kings' gun shops, and R.O. Gun - Collectors shows at the VFW Hall. I was in the first class of kids, when Helen Keller opened, and graduated from Dondero in '66 with Glen Frey).

BTW - Here is an old simple solution for a'sporter' Krag barrel-band. I wish it was still made:

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I grew up in Bloomfield Township where my dad still lives. I lived in Southfield a hop, skip and jump from Royal Oak for a while after getting out of the Navy before I divorced and moved to Ypsi.

The stock on the 1899 looks like a Bishop, which is what I have on my sporter. My Bishop stock is quite beefy in the magazine well/receiver area, and the barrel is not retained by any band. I've fired it for more than 30 years and nary a crack has formed. Now I'd never get away with that with a Krag stock!

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

What a weird coincidence that there are 3 of us on this forum that are so close geographically. My neighborhood friends and I went to Lockman Elementary School and used to play at the site where Helen Keller Junior High was built and went there as well. I graduated in '68 from Dondero and Glenn Frey was in a high school band with one of my friends for aa while. Amazing coincidence.

Regarding the Model 1899 : Is there any way to confirm that this is a Bishop stock by examining the internal aspect of the stock where the receiver fits? I'm very glad to hear that one of you has the same or similar stock without experiencing any problem with cracking. My dad used it for hunting for many years and though I see no cracks on the outside of the stock I will remove the stock and check the receiver area very closely for cracks. If none are present I'll leave it as is for now and get it re-sighted in after I install the replacement front sight post. It's a genuine pleasure to be in contact with you both and I appreciate the information you've provided.

Jim

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

What a weird coincidence that there are 3 of us on this forum that are so close geographically. My neighborhood friends and I went to Lockman Elementary School and used to play at the site where Helen Keller Junior High was built and went there as well. I graduated in '68 from Dondero and Glenn Frey was in a high school band with one of my friends for aa while. Amazing coincidence.

Regarding the Model 1899 : Is there any way to confirm that this is a Bishop stock by examining the internal aspect of the stock where the receiver fits? I'm very glad to hear that one of you has the same or similar stock without experiencing any problem with cracking. My dad used it for hunting for many years and though I see no cracks on the outside of the stock I will remove the stock and check the receiver area very closely for cracks. If none are present I'll leave it as is for now and get it re-sighted in after I install the replacement front sight post. It's a genuine pleasure to be in contact with you both and I appreciate the information you've provided.

Jim

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The truth is, I use to sing with Glenn Frey, (in the Benjamin Franklin Elementary School Glee Club).

R.I.P. - Glenn Frey of "The Eagles", pretty good for a kid from Royal Oak, Michigan!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Interestingly enough, Chuck (Butlersrangers) and I are actually good friends. We talked frequently on this forum, and then one day, he asked if I was related to a Ron Steinmayer, with whom he has been friends for many years. Well, I darned near soiled myself since that's my dad! Chuck and I have met up many times since then, and have even gone shooting together. I would welcome the opportunity to meet up with any of you for some range time!

As for the Bishop stock, my stock has a plate at the base of the grip that has Bishop on it. Likewise, the butt plate has the Bishop brand logo on it. Bishop stocks are quite common on Krag sporters. Mine is missing the plastic front piece. Also, when I purchased this sporter in the early 1980s, it had a Redfield 102K on it also. The picture shows the stock with the action removed so you can see the details.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

More amazing coincidences!
Nice call on the Bishop stock on my fathers's model 1899. I had never looked at it's butt plate before I've enclosed a pic of the butt plate. Since I plan on removing the stock soon do you or does anyone have any recommendations regarding torque settings for the 2 screws when I re-assemble the rifle?

A meeting at some point and sharing some stories and range time sounds great.

Thanks for your help,

JimImage