Unserialized Krag Sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
wellfedirishman

Unserialized Krag Sporter

Post by wellfedirishman »

Hi Folks, a newbie here although I am active on many other shooting/casting forums.

I just picked up a sporterized Krag. The interesting thing is that receiver appears unserialized, and there is no sign that it ever had a serial to begin with (no sign of a scrubbed serial, etc.)

The barrel is also not drilled/tapped for sights. It currently wears a peep receiver sight (Rice type?).

Anyone know about Krags like this that are unserialized? I have searched extensively on Google and the only reference I found to one was on this site back in 2010, with little information:

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1264727105

wellfedirishman

Re: Unserialized Krag Sporter

Here's a pic of the other side. It is an 1896 model.

ImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

If it's a model 96, it's had some extensive work done. The metal channel that the bolt handle passes through on 92s and 96s appears to be gone.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

There were receivers that seem to have been smuggled out of the armory by workers before they were serial numbered. Then guys would put a gun together out of parts. These were called "lunchbox guns". It seems yours may have started as a lunchbox gun. Then possibly sporterized even more. Check that area on the receiver where the serial number should be to see if it has been flattened out or shows other signs of someone grinding off the serial number. Sometimes the stamping of the numbers was quite light, which made it fairly easy to grind off the serial number.

Best,
Tom

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the underside and right rear side of the receiver where the bolt handle "support" should be

wellfedirishman

Thanks folks for the comments. When I get the rifle (after the CA mandatory wait period >:( ) I will post more pics.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It appears to me that 'wellfedirishman' has a model 1896 Krag receiver that was extensively 're-contoured'.

The 'flange', that partially surrounds the bolt recess of a model 1896 receiver, is gone. Also, the edge of the front face of the receiver has been beveled.

My hunch is that the serial number was removed in reshaping and refinishing the receiver.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Now that makes perfect sense Chuck! Thanks for point that out... as I was having trouble with the whole "No Serial Number" thing.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

The receiver appears a bit low where the hold open pin is, doesn't it? And the bolt sleeve is a bit high compared to what I see on mine.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Just the serial number gone with no damage to other stampings makes me doubtful of that theory though.