1899 Carbine Modified

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Re: 1899 Carbine Modified

Post by butlersrangers »

'h8pvmt' - Thank you for acknowledging my response to your query. ('RickM' did not).

I think you got a nice looking sling. (How long is it? Any markings?).

I am attaching a photo of the longer, (72" - too long for Krag), model 1887 sling for the 'trapdoor' Springfield. It will show you how the Krag sling should be 'threaded' on your Grandfather's Krag.

Also, attached is a photo of the muzzle area of a model 1899 carbine. The original front sight base mounting is, (thankfully), hard to replicate.

It is real easy to invest too much money in "restoring" a Krag and in reality, you end up with a Fake.

Your wood repairs and a carbine barrel-band sound sensible. (Movieman630 has '99 carbine bands on ebay).

Front sight issue gets trickier and easily borders on Fakery.

Original Carbine rear sights start at $200 (model 1901) and climb quickly for model 1896, 1898, and 1902 versions. The mixed '98/'02 hybrid you have is a good practical 'shooter' remedy.

Nice original hand-guards are bringing $125-plus, now.

You can invest a lot of money to make it 'right', but, it won't be 'right'. There is a lot to be said for enjoying a Krag, as is, or with minor tweeks.

Spend $20 and get Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine". It is not perfect, but, it is informative and enjoyable. ImageImage

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Thanks for the pictures, the sling is marked Rock Island Arsenal E.H.S. My comment on the front sight would only be employed if the original dovetail was somehow under there and the original site base could be found and reattached properly. I would never endeavor to fake the end of a non original barrel. I bought Poyers book slightly after the gun purchase which is what brought me here and to question what i got with this 1899 rifle. I never do this work on guns for profit only for my own enjoyment and satisfaction. The restoration of my grandfathers Krag will put me money wise into the 6-700 range just in parts (paid 400.00 for a complete original stock). But i had no initial investment and thankfully the actual receiver, barrel and action had never been modified. Only the stock, bands and the rear sights needed attention. So it will be very satisfying to return it to its old glory even if its not exactly the way it was born. Gunbroker is full of Krags right now that people are asking ridiculous prices for but very few have sold in the short time i have been watching. This reminds me of my foray into Garands and Carbines, the market is wrought with forgery's and misrepresentations. I decided to forgo the rare original Garands and Carbines for the more affordable CMP units that i could shoot and enjoy. Once i get my parts together on the project 1898 i will start posting pictures and progress. Have a great Holiday and thanks again for all the information. Oh and thanks for the tip on the Carbine band i ordered one today. Now to figure out the wood repair on the butt stock. The Handguard i will probably not worry about as i think it looks very nice the way it is.
Mike W.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The CMP is (IMHO) the way to go for a Garand. Far too many collectors out there looking for "Correct" and "Original" Garands... and it just doesn't happen anymore. Arsenal rebuilds put the kybosh to that for most military rifles! My Garands are CMP also... except for my Dad's (which my brother has) which was a DCM request... and came packed in cosmoline.

Do you shoot in CMP sponsored matches? If so, when you restore your grandfather's Krag, as long as it's in "As Issued" condition (all of the bits and pieces are correct), you can shoot that as well. I shoot my 1898 in matches throughout the year!

Cheers

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have only shot a couple of informal CMP matches, but if i can get the reloading of the 30-40 synced up i will be interested in shooting the old 1898.
Mike W.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Fear not.... We'll get you headed in the right direction. I find the matches I shoot with my 1898 far more rewarding than any I shoot with other rifles (Garand, K31, 1903, Arisaka, etc.)!

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I did measure the rear swivel on my 1899 against the swivel on the original 1898 rifle stock and on the sporterized one that i have and all three have that rear swivel in exactly the same location. So whoever installed that swivel on the carbine stock at least took some care to put in the same spot a rifle would have had it. Since what i have is a "fake" as some have put it then maybe i'll just leave the swivels, the sling is kind of practical considering i don't plan on using it in a horse scabbard anytime soon. The 1898 reconstitution is almost done, just waiting on a few more parts from S&S and she will be ready for a range trip.
Mike W.

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Here is my rifle after returning it as close as i could to its proper configuration. I removed the sling swivel and filled the inletting, replaced the rifle band with a carbine band, shortened the hand guard to be closer to the right dimension. I even lucked out and found a 1902 carbine rear sight. The barrel will have to stay as it is. It shoots great and its not valuable as a collector gun anyway. Image
Mike W.

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

MoreImage
Mike W.

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

a couple moreImage
Mike W.

h8pvmnt