Safety question

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
psteinmayer

Re: Safety question

Post by psteinmayer »

There is a safety made for the Krag with a scope, which has the lever offset (can't remember the manufacturer... but others will be able to steer you in the right direction). Obtaining one of those would be a good option if you intend to continue using the scope.

Chuck?

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Buehler made a low scope safety, they show up from time to time on ebay. There was another made by Walter H. Lodewick of Portland, OR that requires a little notch to be filed in the bolt sleeve. It was called the Mark II. They also get on ebay occasionally. I see a C on his front sight Paul, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a carbine barrel. We know there's no other 1894 marked carbines floating around.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The front sight base appears 're-mounted' to me.

Maybe it is just the fuzziness of the photograph, but, it does not look like a carbine barrel in the muzzle/front-sight area to me.

lendar

Post by lendar »

I am sorry, I don't see a C on my front sight. The front sight is mounted in a small dovetail. But if you look at the barrel band, the only way it could be on the barrel is to remove and replace the front sight. I still have no idea what this barrel band is all about. I have never seen one like it before and would like to know how it is to be used.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

No C? Pixel magic again! I can't advise you on the band, I get woozy scrolling back and forth through the big pics. LOL. Would it go over the front sight sight stud if the blade was removed? Ok, I scrolled back and forth enough to see it, but I feel some motion sickness coming on! Looks like it was made to go over the sight with blade still in there. There ought to be a hole in the stock for it, but I'm not scrolling back forth anymore to try to find it. The eye was for a dog leash-like swivel for a carrying strap.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Now that I see how the post was mounted, I can see that it's clearly a re-mount. I knew that being an 1894, it couldn't have been a carbine originally, but I thought it could possibly have had the barrel replaced with a carbine barrel.

As Madsenshooter said, the band was installed to allow for a carry sling. Will it slide over the sight with the eye screw removed? If not, then it would have to be cut off (if you wanted it removed).

With the rear sight gone, are the holes filled in? It was common to install the sight screws and then cut and file them smooth to the barrel (my sporter had this done). If so, they could be removed if you wanted to reinstall a rear sight. Food for thought...

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It appears to me that your barrel band/sling-stud was slid on the barrel with the front sight base removed.

The band was slid on the tapered barrel until it stopped.

The lugged part of the band was inletted into the Stock. A hole coming up through the bottom of the Stock, allowed the 'eye-screw' to enter the threaded hole of the lug.

(Is your front sight base soldered or brazed in place or just mechanically held in its dovetail)?

lendar

Post by lendar »

The front sight is held on by the dovetail only. The barrel band will not come off until you remove the entire sight. Is it safe to say that the barrel band is not original to a Krag? So far, this has been great fun, and everyone on here has been a great help.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Your band that slides on to your barrel was improvised by whoever made it a sporter.

The Krag rifle requires that the barrel be solidly held in the stock barrel channel.

If there is nothing dampening the barrel 'whip' the stock will develop cracks, usually behind the magazine 'housing'.

lendar

Post by lendar »

I forgot to add that the 2 rear sight holes are open and have not been filled.