94 vs 98 from a shooter point of view

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
E Scott

Re: 94 vs 98 from a shooter point of view

Post by E Scott »

Thanks again for welcome and the advice. Butlersrangers I am jealous. I have looked at several in the past few weeks and have struck out all around. I am just looking for a good bore and an unaltered tight action. Best I have seen so far had an OK bore, eight holes and a dovetail in the receiver and a price tag of $600 because it had a carbine stock (which had been altered).

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Go to Gun Shows, look around GunBroker, and shop. Educate yourself and define your goals.

IMHO - The 'Krag Market' is in the doldrums, these days. 'Flawed Krags' don't sell well, but, owners often put unrealistic prices on them (and invent stories).

'Sportered' Krags are not rare. They really are $300 guns, (or less).

Some vendors on ebay and GunBroker are 'parting out' complete guns at an alarming rate. 'Scrapers' may be creating an artificial shortage of 'beaters & Shooters'.

However, many Hunters and Shooters are not attracted to Krags. They are old, not 'scope friendly', and ammunition is problematic at times.

Save up your money, know what you want, and educate yourself so you recognize it. Your Krag will show up.

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

Attn: butlersrangers

Sir, I am curious about the second rifle from the right in you picture. I see no barrel band and have been told many times Krags "just won't shoot" without them. I'd like to hear your opinion.

Also, sorry if this is topic drift. I can post a new topic if I'm being rude.

Thanks,
Hoot

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Amen to that! They really are out there to be discovered. As Butlersrangers said, some people value their sporter as if it were worth it's weight in gold. I've argued with someone recently who swore his sporter was worth WAYYYYYY more than it actually was (you just can't deal with that mentality)!

I used to think my cutoff sporter was an actual 1898 carbine. Then, with the help of people like Chuck (Butlersrangers) and Dick Hosmer, I got educated. I now absorb as much knowledge as possible!!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Hoot', Good Eye! - The second Krag from the right has an added forearm screw, anchoring the barrel to the wood.

In my experience, Krag Trigger Guard Screws are too close together.

Without a barrel-band, or forearm 'anchor screw', the barrel 'torques' or lifts upward and stock cracks will develop, especially behind and in front of the magazine.

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

Thank you Sir. I have a sporter with no forward anchoring whatsoever. It currently resides on the Project List waiting for me to get off my duff and change that.

Cheers!

FredC

Post by FredC »

Hoot, you and BR are not the only ones that think there is a need for a forward anchor (I like that term). When you get around to reworking yours, look at the "Sporterizing Howto" thread. If you have access to a Bridgeport mill, the fixture described makes it a very easy project. Pillars between the receiver and trigger guard were very difficult and I would not recommend doing that unless the original bedding was a mess like that inherited Krag.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Leroy Rice had a convenient solution for a forearm 'anchor' on altered Krags. Too bad it is no longer made.ImageImage

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

That Rice 'band' sure is an elegant solution. Thank you.

FredC, I have gone over that post more than a few times. Now, I just need to find a friend with a Bridgeport! For the nonce, I have been scrounging gun shows and auctions and have come up with a few styles of barrel bands which are threaded through the bottom. Relatively simple inletting with a hole and escutcheon to finish it off. Thanks for the detailed pictures of your solution.