sporter not loading right

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Nukedaddy

sporter not loading right

Post by Nukedaddy »

I have a sporterized 98 I like, but it has an issue I'm hoping other more experienced owners can guide me about. The gun will not pick up and load cartridges from the magazine reliably. The number of cartridges does not appear to matter. It seems like the bolt just does not pick up the cartridge on closure. The gun ejects correctly. I have double-checked the cartridge length against specs for reloads and tried factory loads, no difference. Th one thing that sticks in my mind is that when I bought the gun there was a small piece of "popsicle" stick taped to the cartridge follower that I removed. I should check the books for the real name of the part, but it is the rounded bullet shaped part that presses the cartridges toward the left side of the magazine when the loading door is closed. Is there a spring in the loading door mechanism that gets weak over time or an adjustment to fix this problem? Am I just not "holdin' my mouth right?" There are a couple of good gunsmiths down here arounf Vickburg, but I hate walking in and not have a good direction for them to go in to fix the Krag.

butlersrangers

Re: sporter not loading right

Post by butlersrangers »

'Nukedaddy' - One 'curved' flat-spring (hidden behind the Magazine-Gate hinge-pin) powers the follower-assembly and tensions the Magazine-Gate.

Lots of dried grease and crud 'in the system' or a broken flat-spring (a rare event) are your likely culprits.

Spring action is easily tested by removing barreled-action from stock and taking off side-plate. The Follower should then project out of the left-side of the action. If the Magazine-Gate shows good resistance to opening and snaps shut with gusto, the problem is probably just dried grease and dirt.

(Attached pics to show mechanism).

p.s. - Make sure your magazine cut-off lever is in the 'up' position and not blocking cartridge feed. Also, make sure the inside of the side-plate is clean and not damaged or dented.

ImageImageImage

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I was going to ask if the magazine cutoff lever was removed or not... but Butlersrangers advice is right on the money!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - A photo of the inside surface of a couple of model 1898 side-plates.

Nukedaddy

Post by Nukedaddy »

Anybody out there?

Nukedaddy

Post by Nukedaddy »

Really great help, will disassemble and degrease before spending gunsmith money on it first. Thanks, all!!!!!