Sketchy Uncle Bob's Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
engineeringpunk

Re: Sketchy Uncle Bob's Krag

Post by engineeringpunk »

I was able to find a couple factory rear sight screws on ebay and bought them. I'll cut them off and use a dremel and a cut-off wheel to make them into dummy screws because yea, that thread size is odd.

I did clean the gun up and learn how to remove the bolt. There was crud in this gun that had probably been there since WWI. The rifling doesn't look too bad, which is promising. For some reason or another no one in my family is the type to clean a gun, whereas I'm pretty meticulous and anal about it.

I'm going to wait for the stuff I ordered to show up and do a little work on the stock in the meantime. I figure by the end of the coming weekend I should be able to have it all back together and ready to find a home in the back of my safe.

The ammo that I can find on Gunbroker is all pretty pricey, and no one seems to have any new production ammo in stock, so I think reloading dies are in my future as well.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMHO -It would be unfortunate if some decent Krag rear-sight screws are sacrificed to make 'filler' screws.

(I suppose, if they are badly 'buggered up' or reproductions, it is no great loss).

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

IMHO -It would be unfortunate if some decent Krag rear-sight screws are sacrificed to make 'filler' screws.

I agree. The rear sight screws can be difficult to find, and with that odd thread size... even more difficult to reproduce! I would go with the lead shot idea. Easily done!

FredC

Post by FredC »

A word to the wise, things like screws could easily be made. Odd ball threads are no problem for someone who has an old change gear lathe or a CNC lathe.
The photo is some parts and screws that I made for Mr. Kleinguenther many years ago.

BUT The Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) has made a ruling that a gunsmith in Omaha (or any where) and only does work for walk in customers that uses files, drills, taps, or machine tools to modify guns is subject to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) is a manufacturer of firearms and is subject to registration and fees. The annual fee is $2500.00 plus who knows what kind of paper work will need to be filed.
By the same logic your neighborhood mechanic that has taps, dies or a valve grinder in his shop is an auto manufacturer and under the same regs as Ford or GM.
Till this interpretation gets over turned it might be a wise thing not to use up original screws and parts for antique guns.Image

engineeringpunk

I'm not sure if they are repros or original screws. I do know they were inexpensive.

Either way they're already bought, and there appears to be quite a bit more out there on both eBay and gunbroker. If they fit, I'm gonna use them up.

The DDTC ruling is a drag for sure. More info here:
http://www.ammoland.com/2016/08/ddtc-issues-guidance-on-registration-requirement-for-firearm-manufacturers-gunsmiths/

FredC

Post by FredC »

I guess if you got them cheap they may be fairly plentiful. Most screws you see on Krags today have damage to the slot for 2 reasons. The heads were not very hard and the Krags were maintained for almost 100 years with hard ware quality screw drivers. I made some screws for my sporter from W1 tool steel tempered at a fairly low temp to get good oxide colors. I screwed them in and out of the receiver 100 plus times getting the receiver to line up with the trigger guard. They show no damage after the build was finished. On all the photos of krags I have seen no mater how nice the gun looks the screw slots are less than pristine.

engineeringpunk

Well I got them in the mail and I know now why they were cheap. They were rusted all to hell. I soaked them in PB Blaster and then got after them with a needle file and cleaned up the threads. Took like an hour of goofing around, but they thread into the holes alright now.

I don't feel so bad about cutting them up after all that.

I also found out why that rear trigger guard screw was so messed up. Whoever did the inletting had the trigger guard about 1/8" off and they made a special bent stud to get it to fit. I adjusted the inletting and will have to patch it up and blend it to make it look nice.

This is turning out to be a time consuming little project.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I hear your pain on the trigger guard misalignment. It is tricky on a Krag to align. If the action needs to be rotated to bring the alignment in paint all the possible points with Prussian blue paste to find the interference. Do not listen to anyone that tells you that it will be easy to install pillars in a Krag. Been there and done that. (see sporterizing howto)
If you need to move the trigger guard frontwards are backwards, you may need a fixture and a milling machine.

One other possibility is the wrist thickness is wrong, the rear screw is at a 5 degree angle, so it will align at only one distance from the receiver.
Identify the cause and maybe I or one of the other members can give some guidance.

engineeringpunk

Alright, so I've worked on the rifle on and off. I have other project guns as well. I found a place in Pittsburgh making rails that attach where the rear sight would be. Since mine was missing anyway and I had those screws, I figured it was worth $50 to see what it would look like with the rail. As it works out, the rail fits great and still allows the add-on rear sight to be used. A Hi-Lux LER scope and a set of Weaver rings later and I found myself with a new deer rifle.

I changed the position of the trigger guard using dyed epoxy to fill the gap. I thought about using the epoxy and then inletting a thin piece of wood and then staining it to match, but from 3 feet away you can't even tell that it's been messed with. I'm happy with it.

I filled the gap in the stock behind the top of the action with a piece of walnut from an old pair of pistol grips, stained it a few shades lighter so it didn't look like I was trying to hide anything, and then continued the carving that my grandfather did across the patch. As it gets weathered more and more, I think it will look better.

I changed the errant Remington butt plate with one free of logos or brand names. It features a guy smoking a pipe. I smoke a pipe, so it seemed appropriate.

I also reinstated the magazine cutoff and relieved the stock in such a way that it actually functions properly.

I even took the old brittle dried out leather sling it came with and hit it with a bunch of Obenauf's Leather Oil over a week period of time and it's now nice and supple again.

The only drag with this whole scenario is it's a big pain to get 180gr rounds down into the mag from the top because of how long they are. I am going to try loadings with 135gr and 150gr bullets to cut down on OAL and see how that affects accuracy.

I took it to the range and I had no trouble hitting my 8" gong at 100yds.ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am glad this is proving a fun project for you. You will be very bonded to 'Sketchy Uncle Bob'.