Remodeled Norwegian Navy model

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
brionic

Re: Remodeled Norwegian Navy model

Post by brionic »

Interesting. Thank you.

I'm darn sure I don't want to alter the receiver, so I'd rather modify a receiver base. I suppose that will be somewhere further down the list.

I have collet dies, Lapua brass, and 140gr bullets en route. But loading ammo will also be further down the list, behind affixing the trigger guard, inspecting the action, thoroughly cleaning and inspecting the barrel and the whole shebang, and running some dummies.

But I want it NOW. :D

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm sure to have plenty more questions.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

In regard to replacement trigger-guard screw/bolt:

You might try a well equipped hardware store and check their Metric Allen-head bolts.

I needed a rear action bolt for a French Berthier rifle.

My local hardware store has bins of machine screws and bolts, inch and metric.

I found a metric Allen-head bolt with the correct diameter and thread. I just had to cut it to proper length and reduced the Head diameter by 'Chucking' the shank in my power-drill and Filing the Head as it turned.

(I suspect the Norwegians were not using British/inch threads).

brionic

Post by brionic »

OK, I have the rifle in house. I have given it a once-twice-three times over.

I'm pleased, to say the least. What a beautiful, refined action - the machining and scalloping exhibit the type of old world craftsmanship that make me want to do a somersault, if I wouldn't throw out my back, of course. The overall appearance is a bit slinkier than my US Krag. The magazine door and magazine opening are a real delight.

I see now what you were saying about the minor differences making no drill sights a non starter. I'll have time to consider my options. However, the modified rear, as is, will be a little better than useless to me - the grinding not only destroyed the part, but ruined the sight picture.

The barrel is of heavy profile than I expected. The narrow bore ( ;) ) is bright, and the grooves look to be in good shape. We'll see how it looks after Wipe-Out and a good scrubbing.

The trigger guard screws. Ach. The front action screw looks original, and semi buggered. I can live with it. The front trigger guard screw, though... looks like a replacement. The contour doesn't fit the bottom of the action, and I fear that the threading may be unoriginal. We'll see when I get it apart.

The Bishop stock is interesting... not bad, really, decent lines, but overly thick in the forearm, and both steep and fat in the grip. These issues could be improved down the line. The magazine sideplate relief, though, is, ummm, adequate, but lacks any visible evidence of fitting. The lines are straight, but the wood stands proud from the metal. I suppose the stock was designed for the US Krag, and the narrower Norgie sideplate just isn't a good match. All that aside, the stock is adequate and certainly less offensive than a butchered military stock. It points to the left for me when shouldered.

After I get the rifle apart, inspected, cleaned, and greased, I will follow up. Thx for all your comments. I am a cautiously happy camper.

brionic

Post by brionic »

Wipe-Out in progress. I'm astonished by the volume of copper fouling and lead coming out of a "clean" barrel. One more foam/wipe cycle, then I'll brush it.

brionic

Post by brionic »

1/4"x 1 1/2" BSW screws arrived today. Threads are a go!

They (one) will need to be shortened by a cm or so, and the screw head dressed, to match the trigger guard. I purchased one cheesehead and one fillister; we'll see which works better. Also have a die in case the machinist wants to start from a Brownells blank.

Either way, progress has been made.

In to the 'smith tomorrow for the "physical" while I sort through sighting options.

brionic

Post by brionic »

Recognizing that a Redfield 70NK is probably unobtainable, and unwilling to shell out $$$ for one of the Hauges diopters, I purchased a Lyman 33K online for $74. I'm probably taking a flyer on it. If it doesn't fit the Norwegian, we'll see about fitting it to the shorty US sporter.

Also, my new collet dies turned out to be a .17 Hornet trim die. Oops. New dies en route, again.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If you bought the Lyman #33, I noticed on ebay, $74 was a nice price. The sight appears new in its original box.

The model 33/34 Lyman sight requires the removal of wood between the Krag's side-plate and magazine cut-off lever, cutting off part of the side-plate, in addition to, drilling & tapping the receiver.

The contour of the left-side of the Norwegian receiver is different than the U.S. Krag and likely to be a problem. Possibly a shaped 'spacer' could serve as an adapter.

(picture of the Lyman sight sold on ebay, as well as, some pictures of the sight installed on U.S. Krags):ImageImageImage

brionic

Post by brionic »

Excellent info. Thx.

Yes, that was the one I nabbed. I'm curious to examine it. I figured for that price, in that condition, I couldn't go wrong and can resell later if needed.

A machinist friend with a fondness for Krags may be dragged into this project before long.

brionic

Post by brionic »

The rifle has been pronounced operational by the local gunsmith. Headspace is fine, action is sound. He complimented my cleaning job, and taste in rifles. ;)

He also did a "practical" job of fitting the replacement rear trigger guard screw. It still stands a fractional mm proud from the stock, but it's OK for now. Down the line, I plan to thin the stock anyway, so there's no sense in sweating the details until later.

So, if I get my "assignments" done this weekend, I hope to load a few short runs of ammunition using 140gr bullets with 4350 and RL19 or 22.

Also, the new/old Lyman 33 arrived, and it is like new in box. Nifty little sight - the fold down aperture is a fine touch.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

If the 33 doesn't work, one fellow who had a Norwegian in .308 solved his sight problem by finding a Rice peep sight. Wouldn't take much for a fellow to make one of those if he had the dimensions.