Remodeled Norwegian Navy model

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
brionic

Remodeled Norwegian Navy model

Post by brionic »

Hello!

I have, en route, a Norwegian Krag on which I hope you can help shed light.

Avert your eyes if you are offended by sporterized weapons! Barrel appears to have been shortened to 21-22", front sight and stock/hardware have been replaced, etc etc.

Based on the serial number 4088, matching on the receiver, bolt, and barrel, it appears to be an 1894 Navy issued rifle. However, the rear sight placement is puzzling, not seeming to match the 94, and close but not exactly a match for the 1912 pattern. Please advise.

The trigger guard's rear screw is missing, and I assume threading and dressing a Brownells blank to match the original BSW thread is the best bet, based on parts scarcity. Beyond that, my plan is to shoot as is, before making any decisions.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

img

img

img

img

img

FredC

Re: Remodeled Norwegian Navy model

Post by FredC »

I sure would not like to see anyone butcher an original Krag, but a sporter that is already done can be a thing of beauty as well as a good shooter. Hope yours is both when you get it in your hands.
A sporter can also align well with your eye when you snatch it up to shoot and that is another bonus. I dispatched a pit bull with less than a second to spare that was mauling wild life on our place.
More pictures please when you get it.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

I believe that US screws will work. If I can remember I will check over the weekend. I think that the rear sight has just been moved back, it also appears that some filing has been done around the sighting notch.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Must've belonged to the same fellow who butchered an 1898 carbine sight that I have, very much like yours has been. Guess he wanted the rear sight to be only be as wide as a sporting rifle's.

brionic

Post by brionic »

Yes, that's unfortunate. The upside is rear sights seems to be one of the few Norgie parts that is relatively inexpensive to replace.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

I was mistaken about the screws. The US rear trigger guard screw will work in the Dane, though it is slightly shorter and the head is slightly thinner.

brionic

Post by brionic »

Thx for the update. Gleaning info here and elsewhere, it seems the missing rear trigger guard screw should be 1 1/2" long, 1/4" bore, Whitworth standared (obsolete) 20tpi, with a 1/3" "cheesehead" slotted head.

Some of the rifles or carbines used a countersunk head instead.

Apparently the current UN coarse 20tpi thread is close enough, although at a slightly different pitch, to be workable. We'll see whether this is true or retapping (ugh) is a better solution.

Either way, threading and dressing a blank seems like it's happening, one way or another.

I found a NY-based firm that deals with old Brit standard fasteners, so I'll contact them this week, seeking additional guidance.

brionic

Post by brionic »

Argh. Still waiting. Drumming my fingers.

I did find a source for 1/4" whitworth screws in a variety of lengths, but they are stainless. How to wrap my head around that is a different question.

I'm wondering whether a Redfield 102 will work on the Norgie - - the magazine sideplate screw and a suitable, longer replacement being flies in the ointment. I suppose we'll need to look into that when the rifle is in hand.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Can't see a 102 working on the Norwegian, as the sideplate fastens up differently vs a US. But a Pacific might. Otherwise, I think you'd have to drill and tap the other side for a Lyman 57, Williams, or one of the Norwegian made sights.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW: I don't believe any of the 'No-Drill' sights that Redfield or Pacific made will work on a Norwegian Krag, without drastic modifications to the sight, receiver, or both.

Redfield did make a sight for the Norwegian Krag, but, it required drilling & tapping. I believe it is quite rare.Image