Greetings from Iowa

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
brionic

Greetings from Iowa

Post by brionic »

Hello!

I'm mostly a handguns collector, but I own and shoot a few interesting rifles as well. I picked up a nifty remodeled 1896 a few years ago, and have a remodeled Norwegian example en route.

I appreciate all the great information I have gleaned here and look forward to sharing some of my pedestrian Krags.

butlersrangers

Re: Greetings from Iowa

Post by butlersrangers »

Welcome 'brionic' to The KCA and greetings from Michigan!

brionic

Post by brionic »

Thank you!

Here's the old 96 that I found a few years back:

img

I don't have too many details about it, as the numbers have all been scrubbed, but the shape of the cocking piece and operation of the cutoff selector reveal the vintage. Replacement 18" .308 chrome lined barrel with nifty three-leaf type rear and Lyman ramp and front sight, mid-century push button sling swivels (front swivel is connected to a Lyman barrel band), and Nieder-type checkered butt plate. Metal work is quite good... surfaces are smooth, flats are square and consistent. The stock inletting is also very nice, not quite top level, but good enough to warm my heart.

The story I got was that a machinist and hunter in PA put it together in the 50s and it was his pet rifle. It's in great shape for a 120 or 65 year old rifle, depending on manufacture/remanufacture. It shows honest wear, handles great, and shoots very well. It makes a terrific woods gun, and I had to pinch myself for acquiring it as such a great price.

Normally I shoot cast lead and full charges of WC872. It barks, and hits hard on both ends, and is a lot of fun. I'm confident my hits will improve once I find a Lyman or Redfield for it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That is a pretty Krag sporter and the workmanship looks quite good.

I imagine a lot of the felt 'kick' is the result of that high sharp comb. The comb is angled in a way that smashes into the cheekbone, rather than away from the cheek, as the gun recoils.

p.s. - Lyman 'peep' sights require drilling and tapping holes. The old Pacific and Redfield 'no-drill' sights generally require no alteration to the rifle.ImageImage

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I was told there were several Krags sold at the estate auction of Don Eagan. He was a machinist, bullet mold maker, and Krag enthusiast. I would like to have one of his Krags, got a bunch of his molds and other reloading tidbits.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'brionic' - You mentioned '.308 barrel'. What caliber is your Krag now chambered for?

brionic

Post by brionic »

'brionic' - You mentioned '.308 barrel'. What caliber is your Krag now chambered for?

It's chambered for 30-40, otherwise I wouldn't have bitten.

As with all else of this rifle, I know nothing of the barrel's origin, but it's a nice one. The cylinder is relatively long and was machined to offer an ideal foundation for the sight base. "Whomever" knew what they were doing, and why.

I ought to take a closer look at the bore and chamber, but SWMBO has me running in several directions at once.

More details as I uncover them.

brionic

Post by brionic »

I was told there were several Krags sold at the estate auction of Don Eagan. He was a machinist, bullet mold maker, and Krag enthusiast. I would like to have one of his Krags, got a bunch of his molds and other reloading tidbits.

Interesting. I'll do a bit of research on him. Thx for the tip!