Krag Take down (really)

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Tom Butts
Site Admin

Krag Take down (really)

Post by Tom Butts »

So, here is a pretty amazing sporter job that I just picked up.
It was an 1896 rifle that someone put a lot of work into. It is by no means a "bubba job". It has four inter-changeable barrels; 30-40 Krag, 30-30, .410, and .22.

My Krag for any occasion.

Tom ImageImageImage

reincarnated

Re: Krag Take down (really)

Post by reincarnated »

I am, of course, very interested in the details of the .22 barrel. And do the .410s function through the magazine? 2 1/2" or 3"?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Amazing! In addition to reincarnated's question... are the rear sights similar on all barrels? I assume the calibration would be different for each barrel because of the difference in the rounds. Can we see some close ups of the barrel-to-receiver connection?

Sweet rifle!

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

Beyond sweet! I would be very interested to see detailed pics of the takedown system.

Thanks for sharing!

FredC

Post by FredC »

No, I do not want to see close ups, I may be tempted to start another project. No, do not post any close ups. Don't do it!

Whad am I saying, I do want to see the close ups! With CAD drawings!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

LOL Fred

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

I will get some more photos soon, when I have some good light. So, stay tuned.

The rifle barrels all have buckhorn style rear sights with ramp elevators (I have to get a new elevator for the .22 barrel). The .410 has no rear sight but a post on the front.

Unfortunately, the .410 rounds don't cycle in the action. The .22 and .410 are both single-shot. I have to get a few 30-30 rounds to try them.

The .22 barrel has an offset chamber so the regular firing pin strikes the rim.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I think I have gotten over that little spell.

I have made up my mind no more years long projects. But I would like to see someone else copy your take down with 243/40, 30/40, 35/40, 22 mag, and maybe a 45 colt/410 barrel.
Now that would be the cat's meow.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Here are a couple more photos. The first one shows that front sights of all the barrels. The bull barrel is the Krag one. The second shows the rear of the barrels. You can see the offset of the .22 barrel. Also, shows the threaded ends of the barrels and the locking ring.ImageImage

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

This one is a photo of the front of the action. The barrel screws in here. Actually the threads take each barrel slightly past dead upright for the sights. So, as the barrel gets screwed almost as far as possible. you close the bolt so the extractor fits into the notch to hold it in place. Then the locking ring (as shown in the preceding photos) is screwed as tight as possible by hand. Then use the little tool and hammer to tighten the ring and lock the barrel in place.

The metal piece sticking out underneath is to attach the fore end. The two little holes are for the matching dowels in the rear of the fore end to line it up and help hold it in place.Image