Need advice about Broken stock

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
goldcds

Need advice about Broken stock

Post by goldcds »

I have 3 Krags and dropped one and the stock broke right at the pistol grip and I am unsure what to do. The barrel and stock was cut down to carbine size so at least it was not original but now I am unsure what to do. I am guessing it was not worth much more than $200 but I could be wrong so should I take it to gunsmith to be repaired, I am sure I could not repair it myself, or should I try and find a used stock and have a gunsmith transfer it or should I part it out? Please help!!!!

Dick Hosmer

Re: Need advice about Broken stock

Post by Dick Hosmer »

If it was a cut-down gun (did you mean you felt that the whole thing was worth $200) and you are incapable of doing the repair yourself, I'd definitely part it out. Such a gun is probably not worth actually paying someone to work on it.

goldcds

Post by goldcds »

Yes, I was thinking the firearm was worth about $200, stock is not original. I might just try gluing it back together since it is not worth much or pickup a stock at a gunshow.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'goldcds' - Sorry to hear about your stock mishap. Since it was a cut-down shooter, you have nothing to lose using it as a 'learning project'.

I would advise getting a Brownell's Glass-Bedding kit and epoxy gluing the stock back together.

After the initial glue sets, the repair can be strengthen by drilling a deep hole at an angle from the rear of the action inletting, basically following the center-line of the stock wrist. A length of threaded steel rod coated with epoxy can be inserted in the hole as a 'pin'.

Good luck - and keep us informed.

p.s. Photos of your Krag and its injury may beget other suggestions.

goldcds

Post by goldcds »

Thanks so much. I was thinking the same thing. Not much to lose even if I bugger up the job. Here is a photo.Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'goldcds' - You have a lot of wood surface on which you can apply epoxy bedding compound. If 'clamped' and 'pinned' you should get a strong bond. You could drill holes and use large wood-screws for this purpose. The screw-heads could be left exposed during drying and cut-off later. The stub end of the screw can then be filed flush with the contour of the wood. It will be visible as just the end of a steel pin.

If you don't care for your 'pistol grip', it can be cut off and contoured with a file.ImageImage

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

No need for "bedding compound". Any good two part epoxy will suffice. I wouldn't even bother with pins, screws, or dowels. Just wet both halves and clamp together. There's sufficient long grain-to-long grain wood in the break to effect a tremendously good bond, and since there doesn't appear to be any wood missing it should end up being nearly invisible when finished. The strength of the epoxy bond is such that it'll be stronger than the wood surrounding it, hence not needing any mechanical fasteners too.

The biggest hassle will be in figuring out a good way to clamp the pieces together while the epoxy cures.

I make repairs of this nature constantly in my job.

goldcds

Post by goldcds »

Thanks so much for all your help. I will give it a try.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you have access to some heavy rubber bands... or get them from Staples, etc., they are great for holding the stock tight. This is what I used when repairing my cracked stock (crack was in the wrist too). Just double over the bands enough times to make them extremely tight and slide them up into the area. Use as many bands as needed to cover the area sufficiently to secure it, and then give it a few days! Easy Peasy - Japaneasy!!!

goldcds

Post by goldcds »

Thanks about the rubber band advice, I was wondering how I was going to hold it together.