The good, the bad, and the ugly

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
madsenshooter

Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly

Post by madsenshooter »

I've got a barrel with some of those pin slots, and noted that at one time various outfits were threading what they referred to as ordnance barrels, for the Krags. I'm assuming they were machine gun barrels, for the most part. Maybe BAR barrels too. As long as it was .30 cal, it was probably fair game.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

FredC

Post by FredC »

MPF, you did a very good job in cleaning off that solder and leaving the bluing. I would not have thought it could be done.
It does look like at least 2 different people did the work on your Krag. The person that did the soldering could not have been the person that did the fitting and carving on the stock.
I have read an old gunsmithing book were the author describes how to get the style of crown you have with hand tools and I know I could do it. The crown you have was blued after the work was finished. In your photos it almost looks like there are remnants of the factory sight underneath the bluing. If you will be covering up the saw cut anyway looking under the bluing for ButlersRanger's brazing will not hurt anything.
I still could see this going either way, a nicely done hand finished crown or the SA conversion that was covered up.

Added Info. I just looked at my grandfather's old original 98 and the bluing covers the brazing. It was done so well I had always thought the barrel and sight were one piece. There is a very slight difference in the bluing on the brazing, now that I know what to look for.