2 modified Krags

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
JohnTCM

2 modified Krags

Post by JohnTCM »

How do I get an approximate value on these rifles? Top rifle sn 32*** other sn 83**Image

RichWIS

Re: 2 modified Krags

Post by RichWIS »

Not an expert so can't help on value, but more detailed pics/descriptions as well as bore condition will be needed for the more knowledgeable members here to offer advice. Sporterized rifles do not command the prices of unmolested examples, but are still fun to shoot, thus bore condition is an issue.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'JohnTCM' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

IMHO - 'RichWIS' is Spot On.

You have two serviceable U.S. Krags, altered to useful 'Hunting Rifles'. (#83XX was once a model 1892 rifle and #32,XXX was likely once a model 1896 carbine). They would typically be priced around $300 each, based on utility and salvage value of unaltered parts.

Such rifles are often seen at gun shows, but, seldom sell. They have gone out of fashion with most Hunters, who now demand 'Scopes' and more common cartridges.

Collectors want Krags in original military configuration, in Very Good to Excellent condition.

Unless a 'Family Heirloom' or modified by a 'Legendary Gun Smith Firm', such Krags are Truck rifles or Back-up guns, that require expensive ammo.

(p.s. a lot of KCA members love them. I like the top rifle that appears to be in an expertly modified 1896 carbine stock. The bottom rifle displays how Aluminum was once an exotic metal)!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The top Krag, (#32,XXX), appears to have once been a model 1896 carbine.

Regrettably, a 1903 Springfield 'banded' front-sight was fitted to the barrel and the barrel-band had the sight-protector 'ears' removed. A 1902 Rifle rear-sight has replaced the 1896 sight.

The altered stock has the shorter lightening-cuts ('finger-grooves') of a carbine stock. There may be a lighter colored area of wood, where the 'sling-bar' recess was filled with a patch.ImageImage

JohnTCM

Post by JohnTCM »

Can you tell me if the stock work here is the signature of a Legendary Gunsmith?Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I think your Krags show pretty typical alterations and styling done by local Gunsmiths (and talented amateurs) of the 1920s and 1930s. The military stock was recycled to keep costs low. (The DCM was selling off Krags for $1.50 in the late 1920s)!

Your Redfield #102K, 'no-drill' receiver sight, was inexpensive, "back in the day". (Now they are worth about $80 to $100, if you need one). No 'metal work' was done to your Krags, except, shortening the model 1892 barrel and fitting 1903 Springfield 'banded' front-sights.

Most of the effort went into modifying the stocks (and the workmanship is way above "Bubba"). This kind of work on Krags had to be the 'Bread and Butter' for local Gunsmiths during the depression. Costs were kept down and utilitarian.

Commercial Hunting rifles were expensive. Custom rifles, built by firms like Griffith & Howe, using Krags and 1903 Springfields, were very expensive and obvious. They show fine metal work, finish, and amazing hand-crafted stocks. Image

JohnTCM

Post by JohnTCM »

Thank you for your time and knowledge. Was hoping for a better result value wise. Maybe it is just time to get some cases and dies and start shooting these rifles.

FredC

Post by FredC »

We all wish our sporters were worth more. But when you hear news reports about military grade weapons you can think to yourself "I have a couple of those!"
Gun shows were mentioned earlier in this thread, has anyone seen Ruger #3s in 30/40 recently, if so what do they go for? I saw one 35 years ago and they were asking $150.00, I wanted it back then but was as poor as a church mouse.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC: IIRC - During the last couple of years, I have seen new condition #3 Ruger 'SS' rifles in .30-40 on GunBroker for about $850 - $900.

I never cared much for the styling of the #3, but, I love my #1 Ruger 'sporter' in .45-70. I never understood why Ruger didn't chamber the #1 in .30-40? I would buy one! (Also, I would like one in .38-55).

Back to "JohnTCM": You definitely want to get some .30-40 ammo and enjoy your 'Sportered' Krags. Once you shoot them, you will probably 'Bond' and then dollar value becomes irrelevant.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Thanks,
BR
Did not realize there was much difference between the #1 and #3.
If these common sporters were expensive, we would not feel as free to use them or be able to cannibalize one to put a collectors item back in shape.
I saw a couple of ads for original Gatlin guns, if Krags were priced like that, we would be afraid to work the action to see how smooth it is, and they would all be behind glass.

Additional
Looked it up there are more differences than I expected between the #1 and #3. Evidently there were some 30/40s produced in #1, apparently not available now.