30-40 Krag handed down from father, need info

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Doug R

30-40 Krag handed down from father, need info

Post by Doug R »

New to group and Krags. My father gave me one several years ago. I've shot it a few times. So I'm just wondering if someone can give me some more insight as to when this was made, what's it worth etc... Thanks for your timeImageImageImageImage

FredC

Re: 30-40 Krag handed down from father, need info

Post by FredC »

Nice looking sporter. The more knowledgeable regulars must be on vacation. There were some name gunsmiths that did good work in days gone by and there rifles command a premium. I think real clean original rifles price below those. Nicely done sporters like yours with clean bores and no issues will be less. I would guess around $500.00.
The 1898 receivers were used in rifles till 1903 from what I think I remember being discussed here. The original rear sight, hand guard and stock would give you more clues.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

It's pretty nicely done. Buehler safety, maybe Bishop stock. Different trigger, different bolt handle, Remington rear sight. Nice thick sling, maybe a Turner? I'd go along with $500, it would depend on just what a potential buyer was looking for.

Magilla26

Post by Magilla26 »

Nice rifle! From your serial number, It looks like it was made in 1902.

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Yes, it is a pretty nice sporter. But, not to sound like a downer, I would have to disagree with the value. I would say that $500 is quite high for this specimen. It has been cut down,sporterized, the receiver has been drilled and tapped for the scope. There is literally nothing left of collectible value here. Yes, it will likely be a good accurate and fun shooter, but not a valuable Krag. I would put it's value closer to $250.
I am more of a realist.

have fun shooting it and enjoy it for what it is now.

Best regards,
Tom

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Gotta side with Tom here today, sorry Bob.

Maybe as high as $300, but you'd have to find someone who wants a cutdown sporter... one as modified as this. I'm guessing that most would rather have an original "As Issued" Krag these days. Just MHO

cdagnese

Post by cdagnese »

I'll third Tom's estimate.

Luke

Post by Luke »

I just spent $300.00 for one just like this one, then paid $100. to have it shipped to Alaska.
I was thrilled to get it (gunbroker) at that price.
When you buy a sporterized rifle like this, you're getting a tool that has a long and meaningful history, not just another toy made in China :)

savagebrother

Post by savagebrother »

Mmm maybe some you can find that are thrown together for $250.00. But like the rest if there done right and there are lots of pictures at all angles and a good bore $500.00 and then some for these rifles. I know I been looking at them for 4 or more months.
They were selling these guns to the public for $2.69 and with all the surplus ammo many 1000's were converted to sporters. Many of these not only have there military histories but very colorful hunting histories which for me are just as important too.
So when I hunt with mine I'll get to return to a simpler time and wonder if the guy that hunted with it back then was as thrilled with hunting with this rifle as I am. There was a time when sportorized military rifles were all we had we could buy to hunt with or shoot.
I understand your fascination and love of these military rifles but I don't think you should belittle those of us who carry that same enthusiasm as you do for the straight military rifles and carbines.
I think their all Fastenating in their own way.
SB

gnoahhh

Post by gnoahhh »

No harm, no foul. I too appreciate sporters as much as originals. (Heck, I'll admit to probably liking sporters a bit more.)

I do have to agree with the $250-300 estimate though. Admittedly, the prices bandied about on Gunbroker would belie that, but look at how many of the higher priced ones actually sell. Not very many. I frequent live gun auctions quite a bit and it seems there's always a sporterized Krag or two offered up. Bubba'ed cut down rifles generally fetch $200 give or take, and ones with aftermarket stocks and 60's-vintage scope setups maybe another $100. That's real life valuation of non-original Krags.