Say a prayer for the buyer, please

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
reincarnated

Say a prayer for the buyer, please

Post by reincarnated »

I came on this link on the Double Gun Single Barrel Forum.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544100599

I called off my search for a Lee Navy after the famous accident. This looks to be an even worse idea.

Parashooter

Re: Say a prayer for the buyer, please

Post by Parashooter »

img

Looks like a very competent job to me. The 1912 action is pretty robust - with several strength enhancements. It should be fine with moderate handloads and the occasional .243 factory load probably won't damage it.

I think the buyer paid a premium price for a great old scope and got a neat Krag sporter in the deal.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I came on this link on the Double Gun Single Barrel Forum.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=544100599

I called off my search for a Lee Navy after the famous accident. This looks to be an even worse idea.

There are plenty of Winchester Lees out there. Just don't use .30-40 krag as your parent brass. That's what got those two guys in trouble. Stick with .220 swift or .25-06 and moderate loads. Be careful of double charging too.

I can not see Gunbroker because the rotten ISP is blocking 97 percent of any gun sites or forums over here but I would have that gun just because it looks real nice. Whoever did the work did a good job.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I just bought a couple 22", .243 barrels for the Norwegian. They were Austrian made, imported by Globe firearms, the one that had offices in NY and Toronto, back in the late 50s, early 60s. They were making sporters out of surplus Norwegians with new sights and stocks. Also available in .308. There's just enough meat in the Norwegian barrel that the left hand thread could be turned off, and the stub rethreaded for the US Krag. If I have .1 taken off the breech face, and .1 taken off a .243 die, I can make up a 6mm Niemiller, one that won't chamber a .243. I'll keep my loads down to US Krag pressures. I'll make up the cartridge using 6.5x57R brass. They might even feed. Another option for the barrel, if I had a Norwegian action, would be to rechamber to the 6mm Arch improved, which is basically the 6.5x55 necked to 6mm and blown out to Ackley configuration. That scope generally brings more on ebay than what the rifle sold for. Whoops, looked at the wrong price, they bring a bit more than the starting bid.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

My concern is that commercially available .243 Winchester ammo may well be loaded to 50,000 psi or more.

The going price for a good Lyman Super Target Spot is a bit less than $600.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

More, SAAMI max is 60,000PSI for .243. I have read a post on some forum where a Canadian guy has been using one of Globe's .243 Krags with factory loads. He's happy with the way it works on coyotes. If I use one of the barrels, it'll be rechambered to 6x55 or if in a US Krag the shorter 6mm Niemiller which would prevent anyone from chambering .243. I'm going to try to make one of those heirlooms that load data and dies goes with. Biggest reason I'm doing it though, is I have a couple real nice 6mm bullet molds.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

.243 Win.
SAAMI maximum average pressure:
52000 CUP (copper crusher)
60000 psi (piezo transducer)
CIP Pmax:
4150 bar (piezo)

6.5x55:
46000 CUP (SAAMI MAP)
3800 bar (CIP Pmax)

SAAMI CUP: .243 is 11.5% higher
CIP bar: 8.4% higher

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

That's a pretty neat looking sporter and if I had a chance, I would buy it. I would also grab the scope. I have one and could always use another. But I really like both my eyes, 2 thumbs and all the rest of my fingers.

In the end, I am going to leave all my stuff to my grandson. He might not have the opportunity to learn all of the safety-first nuances we elderly geezers have picked up before he read "243 Win" and tried out a couple of boxes of hot loads.

What was the proof load pressure for US Krags back in the day?

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I hate all those different pressure measuring systems, makes things confusing from time to time. Is he talking about CUP pressure or piezo transducer derived pressures? Good reloading data will let you know.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

What was the proof load pressure for US Krags back in the day?

Probably about the same as current SAAMI specs -
img