Recently aquired 1898 Krag Carbine

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
GySgt

Recently aquired 1898 Krag Carbine

Post by GySgt »

Greetings all, while doing some research on the krag rifle and carbines I came across this great forum, lots of great info here
looking forward to being a member here.

I just recently pick up a 1898 Carbine from a private part here locally, to me it appear to me in great condition, I know there
have been part of it sporterized and in researching I found the following, and always open to any and all comments.

Marked: Model 1898 US Springfield Armory

Serial #: 436040 ( I gather this was a rifle at one time)

Barrel: Measures 22 inches

Front Sight: seems to me it might be a 1903 rifle sight,
from center of sight to muzzle measures 3/4 in

Front Band: Marked with a U on right side

Rear Sight:Recently verified by some great members of the forum here that the rear sight is an 1892.

Stock: uncertain, does have butt pad, and there are slot around
where the front band fits.

Barrel: Shiny, sharp lands/grooves very nice condition

View Full Set of Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/xIEIB

The previous owner state it was a great shooter and I agree there from a recent range trip she did outstanding, with my
tired old eyes and iron sights. Rifle was drilled/Tap at one time for scope mounting, set cover screw are in place

Any comments or more info is greatly appreciated

Thanks for viewing

img

butlersrangers

Re: Recently aquired 1898 Krag Carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

SgtGuy - (FWIW) - It looks like your model 1898 Krag rifle receiver may be drilled for a Weaver detachable mount (that is still made).Image

craigster

Post by craigster »

Neat old sporter.

Semper Fi
68-71

GySgt

Post by GySgt »

- It looks like your model 1898 Krag rifle receiver may be drilled for a Weaver detachable mount (that is still made).

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering what type of mount it might of had since it was D/T on the side like that. Previous owner never had a scope on it either.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Model 92 rear sight, I like that Kerr sling too. Looks to be a bit better done than the bubba Krags I have around here.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Weaver #2 base comes with screws and is quite inexpensive on Ebay.

The Weaver detachable 'screw-on' mount with rings costs about $30 and is trickier to find.

The Weaver mount places the scope slightly off-set to the left, which is necessary for ejection on a Krag.

Since you already have the 'holes' (sob), it is a cheap sight option for a Krag 'Hunter/Shooter'. Except, a scope interferes with the Krag's issue safety-lever.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

But there are a couple of aftermarket low scope safeties available. Sometimes, you have to buy another Krag to get one!

GySgt

Post by GySgt »

Thanks everyone for your input, its greatly appreciated
and I thank you very much, never to old to learn ;D

GySgt

Post by GySgt »

Model 92 rear sight, I like that Kerr sling too. Looks to be a bit better done than the bubba Krags I have around here.

Thank you for the compliment, I was impressed also when I came across this on how well it was done. Someone took the
time to research and did it well.

Kerr slings are one of my favorite all time slings.

In regards to rear sight is that 1892 rear sight?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'GySgt' - Yes, 'madsenshooter' was referring to the model 1892 Krag rear-sight, that is ('incorrectly') on your Krag.

That particular sight-type (1892) had a short history of use, because it did not hold its elevation adjustment well. The 1892 sight use to be a common gun show/surplus item and was cheap and readily available, but, now it seems to have risen in price and demand.

The model 1896 sight, that replaced it, held adjustment better.

The model 1898, model 1901 and model 1902 Krag rear-sights all had provision for windage adjustment. The sight changes and personalities involved are an interesting part of the Krag Story.

Photos, that are accessible from the KCA main page, display the various Krag sights and the hand-guards that go with them.