My Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
mike ward

My Krag

Post by mike ward »

I recently purchased this rifle. I knew it had been sporterized from the length, but was good with the price and the parts all looked original, although maybe not to the serial number. I have done some research on the internet and used Joe Poyer's book, so I think I know some things but would like to see if I am right

It has serial number 416882 which I think was built in Sept/Oct 1903. It appears to have a 1892 Type 1B stock (wrist dimension, flat butt, crescent shape bolt handle ), a 1896 forend(? I have not removed it) a 1896 Type 4 rear sight with a 1901/2 front sight. the stock has a square cleaning rod (?) channel

the barrel appears to be shortened to between 23 an 24 inches and the overall rifle length is 43". the stock has been worked and has no cartouche.

overall, the rifle has been taken care of the crown on the muzzle looks to have been done very well by someone who knew what he was doing. I have shot 8 rounds thru it at 25 yards and had good groups.

I have attached pics, if anyone has any additional/corrections to my thoughts, they are welcome. I would like to put it in a more military correct config. I think my options would be either a carbine or "Phillipine Constabulary" versionImage
Mike Ward

mike ward

Re: My Krag

Post by mike ward »

Here are more picsImageImageImageImageImage
Mike Ward

mike ward

Post by mike ward »

more picsImageImageImage
Mike Ward

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Mike Ward: Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Your receiver, #416882, would have been built around October, 1902 (calendar year), as an infantry rifle (30" barrel).

You should precisely measure your barrel, from muzzle to closed bolt-face, with a cleaning rod. Whoever, mounted that front sight base on your barrel, did a very nice job. What I can see in your photo looks armory!

Krag barrels measured: 22" for carbine, 30" for rifle, and 26" on the rare Board of Ordnance and Fortifications trial rifles. I am just curious about the exact length of your barrel.

Your rifle is a model 1898 Krag that someone has put into a cut-down model 1892 (updated to 1896) rifle stock.

If it were my Krag, I would shop for a nice 'cut-down' model 1898 rifle stock to replace the 1896 stock. This would give you a nice carbine looking Krag for Hunting and Shooting.

(It would look similar to my favorite shooter in photo).

mike ward

Post by mike ward »

Butlersrangers,

Thanks for the info.

I agree, the front sight base was what alerted me that the previous owner had professional work done. It just looks too good. Even the distance from the muzzle looks good by comparing to pics.

I will get the right barrel length. I have been curious as to what work was done because the crown looks as good as the sight base.

Mike W
Mike Ward

mike ward

Post by mike ward »

the barrel length is 24 1/8" using a cleaning rod and closed bolt.

Mike Ward
Mike Ward

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Not an uncommon thing to find in a sporterized Krag. My sporter also has a nice crown, original sight base installed, and a 24 inch barrel. Yours is a very nice looking Krag though... and should be a great shooter!