what is it?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
benmyers

what is it?

Post by benmyers »

I can't find any information on the side plate attachment of this krag i picked up, i cant tell if its sporterized or not. Image

reincarnated

Re: what is it?

Post by reincarnated »

My guess is that it is a Hart 3-shot magazine conversion. The bolt handle has been much modified. Does that improve handling or speed of bolt manipulation? And my guess is that we are looking at an issue stock that has been much modified by raising the comb and adding a pistol grip. The conversion is Depression-era.Image

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The nice thing is that the barrel is not cut. Is the magazine door a mod that prevents return to the original loading gate?

It's a very nice looking and fully functional sporter that should prove to be a great shooter!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Those 'flat magazine conversions' cannot be reversed, since the receiver was altered.

'benmyers' sportered Krag really conforms to the one shown in ''reincarnated's" graphic! I've never seen that bolt handle conversion before. I guess someone liked the one on the 1917 Enfield!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

The graphic is from Ellis Christian Lenz' "Muzzle Flashes", 1944.
As is this one.

Those conversions are a couple of steps above Bubba.Image

benmyers

Post by benmyers »

Here's a closer look at the receiver and magazineImage

benmyers

Post by benmyers »

here's the other plateImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'benmyers' - Your 'Hunting Rifle' was made from a Model 1898 Krag infantry rifle that was built around April, 1899.

The 'sporter' utilized an original military stock that was shortened, re-shaped, and checkered.

The side-plate on the 'Left' is the original Krag plate. The plate on the 'Right' of course is a major change.

Back in the 1920s to 1940s, when Krags were dirt cheap and extensively 'sporterized', some people did not like the big boxy magazine. A lot of hunters wanted their rifle thin.

Your rifle is an example of such. It is not possible for me to tell if your modified "loading-gate" still opens for loading or not.

If it is fixed in place, you would load by inserting cartridges 'Rim End' first at the front of the feed-ramp, backing them into the Magazine. (It probably only holds three cartridges now).

There is not a lot of demand for 'Sportered' Krags. Most collectors want rifles and carbines as issued. Although not valuable, 'Sportered' Krags are still fun and useful rifles.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

The new photo makes it appear that the right side is simply screwed shut. So it either loads as described by BR or it is a single shot. I have seen Krags converted to single shot sporters.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Other 'flat' mags.ImageImageImage