My new "carbine"

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
MPF

My new "carbine"

Post by MPF »

Picked this up at a good price. I know it is a 1998 cut down rifle, but why doesn't it have a rear sling ring or patch? I thought I'd throw it to the group for comment.
Faint 1901 cartouche. I don't like the barrel crown, and the length is 22-3/16" to the bolt face. Is this a '96 rifle sight? What hand guard do I have? Also could someone check the SRS for the serial number 310749?
Thanks in advance.
ImageImageImageImageImage

MPF

Re: My new "carbine"

Post by MPF »

A few more pictures.ImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

OK MPF, you've stumped me! What is this a picture of? M1 Garand hand-guard?Image

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

MPF: Serial #310749 falls between some model 1898 rifles in Mallory's "Krag Rifle Story" tables. (The number is nowhere near 1898 carbine #s).

Your Stock is a model-1899 carbine Stock.

Your rear sight is the 1896 Rifle sight.

Your hand-guard is either an original or repro. for the 1899 carbine with 1896 carbine sight.

You are correct that the muzzle crown and barrel length are wrong (for a carbine barrel), but, it appears someone did a very neat job of re-mounting the front-sight base.

The blade looks interesting. You should check it for a hidden "c".

Looks like you have a nice repro-carbine to play with (and a real stock)!ImageImageImageImage

MPF

Post by MPF »

The rather vague picture is the underside of the stock where you would expect to find the sling. Actually the flash makes it look like there is an oval repair. I had to go back and look again to make sure there isn't a patch.

Thanks for the review and SRS check.

It is interesting that they went to all the trouble to use a carbine stock and hand guard, mount the front sight correctly, but didn't put a correct crown on the barrel. I have a little "extra barrel length" maybe i'll have it reworked someday.

The hand guard has a very nice patina that matches the stock and the barrel has the square mark from the opening on the bottom of the rear sight, so it looks like it has been together for a while. The front screw for the rear sight looks wrong to me. It sticks up a little high.

If it was an old Alfa Romeo, it would be a 5' car. Looks good until you get close.

Thanks again.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

MPF - That long screw is clearly wrong. Check the barrel threads to make sure they are not messed up. (I may have a correct 'long' screw, if your threads are 'ok').

If you could take clearer detail pictures of your front sight base/muzzle area and the inside of your hand-guard, it would help your KCA friends make a better assessment.

For reference purposes: (example photos of original carbine front sight and the inside of an original Krag hand-guard. Also a repro-guard showing poor rivet job).ImageImageImageImage

MPF

Post by MPF »

Here are the pics of the front sight and hand guard. Also some other shots taken in better light.ImageImageImageImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

MPF: That is an original carbine hand-guard.

You should measure your barrel, again. That looks like a very convincing carbine barrel in your latest photo! (Look for a very subtle dovetail line and brazing where the base is contoured into the barrel).

IIRC the carbine front blade was shorter, when the 1896 carbine rear-sight was used. The shorter carbine blade had a "c" that was concealed by the base.

(This photo of a sight base taken by Parashooter, clearly shows technique used at Springfield).Image

MPF

Post by MPF »

At the risk of beating a dead horse I took few more pictures of the front sight mount and barrel with the tape run down to the bolt face.
-I don't see a dovetail. It looks like the gunsmith milled a flat for the sight base and neatly braised it.
the barrel measures 22-3/16" to the bolt face, double-checked with the bolt open to the lip of the barrel.
-On close inspection the barrel crown could be better done, it is a little uneven, and not the same radius as my rifle.ImageImage

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

MPF - You are correct, but, you have a nice 'faux-carbine' with real carbine wood! It is an attractive 'Shooter'. I like it!

Whoever shortened the barrel did a nice job of re-mounting the front-sight base. Your latest photos show it more clearly and reveal that it is not Springfield work, but, it's nicely done.